View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #19
tealgmc

Re: Alkyd enamel with urethane clear coat

Used to get Glidden from Home Depot until they decided not to carry it anymore.
Lowes has Valspar alkyd. Make it what ever color you want pretty much.
Oil based enamels take like a month to cure, that's why they went don't use them on
cars anymore. Hardeners, VMP's will shorten this process.
If you let it cure till it's hard enough to sand without gumming up your sandpaper then sand it with whatever process your hearts desire. Shoot it with polyurethane clear.

I did the engine bay 3 years ago, wrinkled a spot that was in a corner and had too much enamel and didn't dry enough. I waited overnight before clearing it. Alkyd goes on thick and orange peels so, waiting for it to dry so you can sand it is the way to go anyway. Basically, unless you don't mind orange peel, your going to have to sand alkyd to get a poppin shine on the top clear. I wet sand my normal base coat/ clear coat paints anyway. (clears too)

Oh, just remembered. I did my engine with the stuff back in Feb. (like 30 degrees). Just heated up the block and shot it alkyd/ spray can engine clear. Looks fabulous still.I waited overnight before clearing it.

Depending on your weather and what you use as an accelerator this method does actually work and will save you major bucks on a tough finish. Just have to be patient and put in a little elbow work. Here's a couple of pics of my current windshield replacement project. (Sheriff actually gave me a ticket for crack). And the engine.
Attached Images

tealgmc is offline   Reply With Quote