View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #32
BrianG

Re: Lets talk Small Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The truck runs nice now, right? I thought that's how you started out. You don't need an engine or any changes, you need more vacuum or brakes that don't use vacuum (hydro-boost). Diesels make virtually no vacuum, they come in heavy trucks, and they stop.
The motor runs good, but I can't help but feel that it could definitely be better, especially at lower rpm. When I bought the truck back almost six years ago and drove it home, it seemed great. But I think that I was probably overly excited about the prospect of getting my truck back. It had been rebuilt not too long before I bought it back so I didn't tear into it. Now that the truck is done, I wish I would have opened it up and at least figured out what it was put together with. I've tried to ask the guy but he doesn't seem to know what was put in it.

I have definitely thought about a hydroboost system. But after thinking about it for quite some time I'm now considering tackling the issue through the engine rather than the braking system. There's really no reason that the current power brakes shouldn't stop it if it had the correct vacuum.

I know you run 4x4's. Do you run small blocks or big blocks? 350's or 383's just curious.

I've rebuilt a few small blocks and other motors but don't know enough about them to know what combination of heads and cam and pistons work best together. I don't really know of the correct resources other than to ask here on this forum, that can help give me an idea of what kind of power potential there is for my 350 vs buying a 383 and yet keeping it at a range that will still allow it to make enough vacuum to be streetable.

Honest real world feedback is sometimes the most valuable. That's why I really appreciate your feedback and that of the others on this forum.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote