View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: 1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver

Getting closer to having the truck back on the road. This is week five, since I've had the truck and getting it where I want it to be a daily driver.

When I bought the truck, the PO had a new compressor on, but not hooked up. New dryer as well. Was missing connection tubes from the evaporator, so I ordered those online along with a new expansion valve. AC is a must here central Texas.

Had to pull the battery/tray out to get these in:

Battery tray was pretty rough, so I ordered a new one.

Man, I'm tired. This is a lot more work than I thought it would be (project). My old body aches at the end of the day, far more than what Tylenol can fix. Days are long, but reward is on the horizon.

New heater shut-off valve (didn't have one). As hot as it gets here in San Angelo, figured it might be worth adding.

New expansion valve installed:

New dryer installed:

POA valve had been stripped/polish by PO. Was already showing very minor rust on exterior, so I cleaned it up, tapped it off, primed and painted:

Emptied oil from new compressor. Flushed the system thoroughly, multiple times, with AC flush:

Used three cans of the flush (it's expensive, but I want to get this right and not have to deal with it again down the road). Flushed the compressor as well, then refilled with 10 oz of oil. Used air hose to blow out all the flush.

New orings in everything AC related, with oring oil. Here's a shot after everything was hooked back up:

Everything is setup and ready to pull vacuum on it tomorrow and get the system charged.

My youngest son (23) and a friend of his have been helping on the project. New seat covers came in, doing a test fit:

And some more shots after fully covered, with hogrings:

These really came out nice. My thanks to Tim (Truckseats - supporting vendor here) for these, very pleased with the covers.

And finally, seats installed back in the truck:

Bought side trim and a spare tire carrier from Randy (teeitup - here on the forum) and it arrived today:

Lot's of progress. Should be able to start driving tomorrow or Friday at the latest.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote