View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: What's hiding in the tool box part two

Now for my dolly and spoon collection. Most of the major companies offered pretty much the same design of dollies with just a little difference in shape so identifying dollies is pretty hard. For instance, a Porter Ferguson rail dolly is darn near the same as a Fairmount rail dolly.

One of my favorite dollies, Herbrand introduced this BF-52 dolly in 1939. Unfortunately, this one is not an old Herbrand dolly but a direct copy made by Dagger tools which you can currently buy. Great dolly because the multiple crowns range from low to very high making the dolly useful for any panel.

Comma dollies. Nice design with multiple crowns and a pointed end useful for getting into corners. The shiny one is a Martin and the back dolly is a Heller. A must have style of dolly.

Comma dollies typically are large dollies with a good weight useful for roughing out dents from the backside yet light enough for finishing work.

Another one of my favorite dollies which is another Herbrand copy currently made by Dagger tools. Herbrand introduced this design in 1939 as the BF-51. The design was also used by Blue-Point and no longer available through Blue-Point but can be bought from Dagger tools.

Nice large working area. A good dolly has crown in both directions. You don’t want a dolly with crown in one direction then flat in the other direction when working dents.

The Blue-Point version BF-714, pretty much the same dolly but pushing 30 to 40 years old and no longer made. For those whom do not know Blue-Point is the cheaper line of tools by Snap-on.

Useful for defining edges, have no idea what this thing really is for but sometimes ordinary scrap makes for the handiest tools.

Another dolly meant for edges. Cars made prior to the mid to late 30’s had wire beaded edges. The wire in the edges added strength to the perimeter of fenders. A wire was placed next the edge then the edge was rolled over the wire. This type of dolly helps develop the fold so the metal can roll over the wire. The factories had large expensive machines to create a wired edge, the repair man had a dolly and hammer.

This style is often called a Heel dolly, one of the staples to every body man. A must have style of dolly. The bottom surface is flat along with one other face. It’s an excellent dolly when you need to turn a flange or installing door skins.

Not all dollies are created equal nor should be used as actual tools. Dolly on the right is a top quality forged dolly; the one of the left is a piece of junk cast iron import dolly. Every import dolly I’ve seen looks like the crappy dolly with cast lines so they are easy to spot. If you see hammers and dollies with rough edges and cast lines avoid like the plague. Cast iron is too soft to be used as metal working tools and mars or dings with ease. Forged tools when struck create a ring, cast iron creates a thud, avoid the thud!

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects

Last edited by sevt_chevelle; 04-03-2011 at 06:14 PM.
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote