View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
GAc10boy

Re: "Oaky" Farm Fresh '73 Short Step

Today my son and I literally washed an oak tree off the truck. Was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. I updated the OP to show the truck before we cleaned it up and why we call her Oaky but it's crazy enough to show again here.

But before we do that, a quick update. The PO brought the truck early this morning and I took it straight to the tire store for new tires (Hankook Optima H724 225/75/15) and had them change the oil while it was there. Also, ordered some new plug wires and air filter. Once the truck was back home, my son and I spent the better part of the afternoon scrubbing the truck with a green scotch brite and Meguiar's Gold wash (I think). The truck literally had a ton of leaves in the bed and a bunch of weird, unexplainable things behind the seat as well. Did I mention, this was a grave digger's truck! Anyway, we scrubbed all the oak tree moss and particles off and it has really begun to shine.

The paint, while I wouldn't call it patina, certainly has a unique look - which i like. Maybe multi-layered is the right phrase. The truck was originally dark yellow, then black, then a really shotty white. This now makes two trucks that I have that were both originally dark yellow. My '71 GMC was originally dark yellow. Anyway, the truck cleaned up well on the outside and the inside.

The next things I'm planning to tackle are radiator, 4.5/6 drop, paint the wheels/caps, and exhaust. Might put on a new intake and carb but for now I'm leaving it alone. Longterm plan is to dress up the interior and paint the grille. Really amazed at just how original this truck is. Odometer shows 69k miles and the seat belts still have the plastic on the lower part of the belt behind the seat.

Now, the pics:

Why we call her Oaky.

After new tires, a good scrubbing and wipe down:

SPID

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build

Last edited by GAc10boy; 06-27-2015 at 10:05 PM.
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote