View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Re: All original 1972 Chevy Tow Truck on EBAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblueprint View Post
...Just for fun I e-mailed the seller and asked if the truck could be driven to CA as is or did it need maintenance items such as tires, belts, hoses, etc. The seller said it could be driven across the country to CA as it sits. Personally I have my doubts about that, I thought, at the very least, the seller would say it needed an oil change.
That would have been a heck of a long ride in that truck even back in '72 when the truck was new. I had a guy ask me if mine could be driven to Massachusetts from Maryland. I'm guessing it's a few hundred to 400 miles. I am sure it would make it. But,my answer was,"It could,but I wouldn't suggest it. It would be cheaper to tow. Since it has a 5.13 rear it would make for a long ride and drink as much gas as a round trip with a tow vehicle and a trailer.
Besides,I would never consider that or suggest it to anyone. I used to do that. But,in '04 I bought a truck in Colorado (not Ebay) that the seller boasted "Drive anywhere" and I was going to drive back 2,500 miles. I needed an adventure. Well,not the kind this would have been. I ended up being too busy and had it shipped.The first thing the transport driver said about it was,"That thing's a bear to load with no clutch". I went to drive it a few miles to get gas and the tires hopped like a basketball (ball joints and tie rod ends shot) so I turned around. Tried taking it slow in the other direction and it didn't want to climb the first hill (frozen calipers).
I doubt they've driven that tow truck any more than I've driven mine. I can drive it around,but never been more than 5 miles in any direction and that's what I tell people.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote