View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #373
silvertip67

Re: post your 67-72 4x4

what a project you have...but when done , like you said...its all yours...and it will be something to be real proud of...I cant tell you how many friends and people I have met just because of riding my rig around!

looks like the chassis sets forward just a bit...at least on the front axle...which I think is very positive...more clearance for the front tires...I wish they came like that...the original CST's were never designed to be lifted at all...at least it seems that way,back then it was all utility...hot rods were the chevelles and camaros etc...trucks were all truck!

in some ways I wish mine was going to be painted...I really love the blue from '67...but its hard for me to justify painting what I have. thats pretty funny isnt it?...one thing, the interiors are easy to redo...all the aluminum trim is available pretty reasonable if you want from LMC or similar...

I repainted the entire interior of my '55 along with the exterior too...so when and if I have no projects on the board I will probably paint mine the "sky blue" that was original in '67...I cant afford two truck projects...I am building a boat now...and that is a whole nuther story!

good luck...would love to see the progress on yours...

note how far back the front axle is here on stock CST...and forward the rear is?? also the engine sits back farther than the C-20's did...supposeddly for front differential clearance...of course the 4X4 concept was brand new for Chevrolet back then...looks like your frame was set up with these things in mind??very creative for sure...and who cares about Frankenstein...I sure wouldnt...

the only thing on this truck(in pic) thats not stock is the lack of split rim wheels(no body will touch them where I live)the aluminum box and rail covers...and the spotlight...I put some chrome valve covers on until I can repaint the originals...also the oil bath air cleaner is being redone too...other than those items nothing else has been touched...

so moving the chassis locations was a pretty good idea...eventually Chev did it too...I think by '72 it was totally different...others here would know better...

'55 Chevrolet 3100 w/ 235 il6(Powermaster)
'63 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 250 il6
'65 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 283 V8

Last edited by silvertip67; 04-15-2011 at 08:40 PM.
silvertip67 is offline   Reply With Quote