View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #95
da_bears_da1

Re: [B]65 Stepside Frame off Resto[/B]

We got the cab on the frame today. Was relieved that it went back on without issues. The 2X10 through the cab was a great way to lift it. Thanks to this forum for the solution.

I had been worried about it lining up with the mounting holes. Before we fixed the cab, the passenger side had holes in the floorboard, no inner rocker and the outer rocker was held on with filler. All four floor supports were shot. So having repaired/replaced all of that I had been concerned about whether the forward cab mounts in the cab would line up well. It took a little maneuvering but it went on.

Having the cab on the frame confirmed that I have to modify the suspension at least in the rear and then maybe the front. I have new stock springs all around now with 2.5" drop spindles in the front. When I started this project I wanted a little bit of rake in the stance but having seen all of the great trucks here, I now want it level. I was going to go with a 4" static drop in the back but when I was looking for kits I also saw a bag kit for the back that is fairly simple. No on-board compressor just set it where you want it. I am going to order that bag kit and make it level. Once I see it assembled with the bags in the back, I will then decide whether to drop the front more. Funny how things morph as the project goes along.

Name:  DSC_0334.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  42.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0335.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  48.1 KB

So now the question I have for all of you. As you can see below I have put on old school valve covers which I love. I got a matching air cleaner and am very happy with the look, just seems to fit with the truck. The problem is that the valve covers are tall and so I have about a 1/8" clearance to the firewall. I know the motor will move more than that. Would you keep the valve covers and modify the firewall or switch out the valve covers?? I can already hear Bomp yelling at me, "cut it up".

Even though its more work, my initial thought is that its only two days of work to modify the firewall and I really like the valve covers. Just looking for some response on whether I am being a dumb a$$ or not. Thanks for the responses in advance!

Name:  DSC_0339.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0337.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  28.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0338.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  30.2 KB

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote