View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #47
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Lets talk Small Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
That is a good question. I have tried a few different things with the PCV. From everything I read, it's pretty much a necessity. I have tried manifold vacuum and the port on the bottom of my Carb, which is also essentially manifold vacuum. No real difference since they were both manifold vacuum. The PCV does eat quite a lot of the vacuum. I switched to the PCV from a 302 Camaro since that was supposedly a low vacuum engine. It didn't really make that much difference if any
Let's revisit this. Different PCV valves are available for different vacuum profiles. Have you tried different valves?

Also, carb tuning can make a big difference. Have you tuned the idle mixture screws with a vacuum gauge attached? A small turn of the screw could add 1-2" of vacuum. And might actually make it idle better. Count the turns so you can reset it if you aren't happy.

Another trick is the vacuum advance on your distributor. What is that attached to? If it's on ported vacuum now, you can attach it to manifold vacuum. That will give you a bump in idle, allowing you to back off the throttle stop screw. That may also give you another 1-2", especially if you are idling on the power circuit now.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote