The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
65Gregg

U bolts are whipping me

I'm in the process of bolting up my fresh rear end and have gotten into a fight with the U bolts. They barely fit through the axle perches, not a diameter issue but the distance they are spread. When I try to put my lowering blocks on, well it ain't gonna happen. The holes in the blocks are about 1/2 inch wider than the u bolts. I haven't tried to see how they fit in the trailing arms yet but my old and tired butt can't spread them apart enough to fit the blocks. Any ideas or suggestions. If they fit the trailing arms ok at the current width I'll probably have the blocks machined to fit.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Custom 68

Re: U bolts are whipping me

clamp them up in a vise (away from the threads) and grab a big long pipe and slip it over one leg and give them a little adjustment. You should be able to spread them that way.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
cdowns

i would first check that the holes in the drop blocks align with the holes in the trailing arms// if they r not a match i'd b lookin at gettin blocks that are drilled right
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
65Gregg

The u bolts fit the trailing arm just fine, they fit in the blocks just fine but when the bolts went into the holes on the housing everything changed. As long as the u bolts were only part of the way in everything still fit, as soon as they were seated against the axle they got squeezed to the point nothing fit. The solution was to only push the u bolt on part of the way, put the blocks on with enough of the bolt exposed to start in the trailing arm. Then I used a floor jack to push everything together. I used a 4x4 between the frame and the u bolt then jacked up the trailing arm-done!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
mud.man.rj

The old try and try again trick, you got it though, good job, bet your glad it's over.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote