The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
BigBlueBomber

overhead A/C

Newbie here, I've been looking for a site like this for awhile. I have a 71 3/4 ton 4x4. I've been looking for a replacement overhead A/C unit for my rig since mine is falling apart. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a new one. Thanks I'll get pics set up soon of my truck.

Last edited by oldiron; 11-16-2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: WTB by non-subscriber
BigBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Re: overhead A/C

Welcome to the board. You will find alot of info here.
Sadly you must adhere to a couple of simple rules.

1. A non-subscriber may not advertise for the following:
Want to buy, Want to sell or What is it Worth.
If you want to do any of the above there is a $25 subscription that is well worth it for looking for parts.
All of our advise is free.

Sorry but I'm going to edit the part where you wanted to buy.

If you have any questions please ask and feel free to explore this site.

Last edited by oldiron; 11-16-2008 at 01:40 AM.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
BigBlueBomber

What does the $25 subscription get me. I'm not needing really a whole lot of parts, just a little directionon where to get good GM parts. I've been a Ford guy my whole life and tried the GM route. If I need to pay to get advise or opinions I can get it for free locally.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
oldiron

The $25 subscription gets you the ability to post for parts that you need and to sell any parts you need. I also keeps this place running. The owner of this site pays for everything out of his own pocket and doesn't make any money in return.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Opinions and advise are for free along with answers to any questions. To keep spammers out the board has the option of a subscription so you can sell parts or ask for used parts. What brought this post from me about was you statement in your originial post about wanting to buy a used part.
Please feel free to ask for anything except a want to buy from a member here. Looking for new parts from a vendor is allowed.
Please review the rules again and ask me or any other mod for help if you have questions concerning the rules.
Sorry again for any misunderstanding.
oldiron

Last edited by oldiron; 11-17-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the site.I think you`re getting the wrong idea about this place.It`s a wealth of information,resources,as well as commradery,and it`s free.Subscribing is an option.Most subscribe because they feel it`s a great value that beats the socks off any magazine subscription.We are required to subscribe in order to initiate any kind of sale transaction to help control scammers who hop onto site for some quick bucks.Our parts classifieds are about as safe a place to do a long distance deal.Anyone can buy from this site without a subscription.Anyone can inquire about services or resources.You can ask where a good place to look for your parts may be,too.You just can`t post that you are looking to buy a particular piece.
Give the place a chance.I think you`ll find it a great place to go.And,BTW,this rule catches alot of new people.We all know most of us just click "agree" and don`t read the rules word for word.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
BigBlueBomber

Ok let me try this again. What does everyone do when their overhead a/c unit falls apart?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
oldiron

You might search the FAQ (frequently asked questions ) forum. Found here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
Most of the suburban folks check in over the week and maybe someone has replaced or repaired theirs.
Since I live where it doesn't get hot ( anything over 70 ) AC is not used much.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Could you be more specific about what part of it is falling apart?Is the housing broken?Is the unit itself coming down from the cieling?I had a`71 and remember it was sagging.As far as replacement parts,used is the only way to go.A broken housing could be repaired.Can you get any pictures?
BTW,got any pictures of your Suburban?Gotta love those K/20 Suburbans.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-18-2008 at 08:34 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
BigBlueBomber

The whole piece that is mounted to the cieling in sagging and about ready to fall on my head. I was thinking about making a new one out of aluminum. Any thoughts. So far a used one does not exist. I fount 2 burbs in my local yard and one had the a/c unit but it was worsethan mine. I will have pics set up tonight.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
1956cameo

I know that classic parts formerly "chevy duty" sells some of the over head A/C motors, wires, switches. What ever they dont have other parts suppliers might have. I have found that no single parts supplier sells everything that is out there so unfortunately you have to order catalogs from 4 or 5 of the biggest parts suppliers and see what they all have.

Unfortunately what it sounds like you need is the overhead A/C housing unit. Since most suburban only parts are rare, and the A/C unit you have was a one year only item I would assume that NONE of the parts suppliers will have what you need. It is just not worth them going thru the hassle to reproduce something that they might sell 5 or 6 items a year of. As much as you propably dont want to hear this you will have to find an original unit. There are some still out there and in good shape you just have to be patient. It always seems as though I find a rare part just as I think one will never turn up. Good luck.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
53burb

I believe his a/c unit was used from 67-71. 72 is the "one-year" only setup. I have a '69, but I am going to use a '72 unit. I think I have heard of other people using the rear a/c units from the 73-91 Burbs. This may be an option to try as they are alot more plentiful than the 67-71 units.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #12
1956cameo

53burb, If you think his A/C box was made for more than one year than you are propably right. I thought it was one year only because a guy at a cruise night had a 71 suburban and he told me that the overhead A/C in his burb was only made that year. Of course I meet alot of "experts" at cruise nights/swap meets that dont have any clue about what they are talking about. I do know for a fact that 72 overhead A/C is different than 71 overhead A/C. Either way I wouldnt expect any of those A/C boxes to be for sale in a catalog anytime soon.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
53burb

Yup, that guy was incorrect.....'72 was the "one-year" only deal.....The '72 boxes are hard to find, but i think the boxes from '73-'91 are really close to fitting...I haven't tried one, but many things from these years interchange with each other easily!!!!!!!!!!
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
1956cameo

Thats great (sarcasm)! I have a 72 burb with overhead A/C and some knuckle head cut speaker holes into the outer rear unit!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
pritch

So what is different between the '72's and the rest of the years? Reason I ask is that awile back I got a upper unit in great shape for a good price. I've been thinking of mounting it backwards, so that it blows forward, in my Panel.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote