The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2019, 03:44 AM   #1
Blue18

cpp lowering spring issues

I've got a 1970 c15. I bought the 2 inch CPP lowering spindle and 2 inch lowering spring. I replaced the upper bump stops with low profile energy poly style which are about 3/8 of an inch wide. I installed everything and it seems the spring is a little loose in the pocket. has anyone had these issues? im sure if I put the factory bump stop I could get the spring to not move in the pocket. is this a design flaw in the spring or just my fault for using wrong bump stops? does anyone have a solution for a 2 inch drop but a spring with more freestanding height? CPP is no longer going to be used on ANY of my trucks it seems QC is lacking and cheap parts is all they use. sorry for bashing but these parts seem overpriced for what you get.
Blue18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Rick Bollinger

Re: cpp lowering spring issues

Are your wheels on the ground and springs loose? You should not be on your bump stops with the weight of the truck on them if you are then you will have no suspension movement. If not your springs will tighten up when you set it on the ground. I have heard of them moving if you hit a large bump and having to put them back in place. Just the price for a 4" front drop I guess.
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Blue18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger View Post
Are your wheels on the ground and springs loose? You should not be on your bump stops with the weight of the truck on them if you are then you will have no suspension movement. If not your springs will tighten up when you set it on the ground. I have heard of them moving if you hit a large bump and having to put them back in place. Just the price for a 4" front drop I guess.
No only when the suspention is at full travel. On the ground it is not loose

Last edited by Blue18; 04-29-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
scoot_mcgrute

If you replaced the bump stops on the upper a-arm, those are your droop stops so making them shorter will make the tire droop further and have a loose spring at full droop.

I ran the factory droop/bump stops with my 3" CPP springs and didn't have any issues
Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Blue18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot_mcgrute View Post
If you replaced the bump stops on the upper a-arm, those are your droop stops so making them shorter will make the tire droop further and have a loose spring at full droop.

I ran the factory droop/bump stops with my 3" CPP springs and didn't have any issues
Ok factory bump stops here I come