The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
evobuilder

what a day..... truck "ran" perfecto... then bang!

so I swapped carbs on my 65 GMC and seemed to go really well. Swapped a Holley 750 for an Eddelbrock 600 (its on a mild SBC, so no need for the 750). Fired it, adjusted and seemed to get it all right. Went for a drive and BANG, white smoke, then dead! For about 5 seconds, then it started right up. Ran it home, all seemed ok. Then I put the air cleaner on and went for a drive.... gpot two blocks and it started to act as if it wasn't getting any fuel (hmmm..... air cleaner problem I guess).could be?

So I certianly have some tuning issues going on, and will probably seek professional help as it stands, I may be out of my element as far as fine tuning goes.... but the other thing that is strange.... when I plug in the electric choke.... it barely runs.

Anyway.... just needed to vent and see if anyone in the Seattle area knows a good tuner who can work through some of the issues I have.

Thanks, Eric
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
daverod
SSN 706

Re: what a day..... truck "ran" perfecto... then bang!

The white smoke does'nt sound good.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
gulffishin

Re: what a day..... truck "ran" perfecto... then bang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobuilder View Post
so I swapped carbs on my 65 GMC and seemed to go really well. Swapped a Holley 750 for an Eddelbrock 600 (its on a mild SBC, so no need for the 750). Fired it, adjusted and seemed to get it all right. Went for a drive and BANG, white smoke, then dead! For about 5 seconds, then it started right up. Ran it home, all seemed ok. Then I put the air cleaner on and went for a drive.... gpot two blocks and it started to act as if it wasn't getting any fuel (hmmm..... air cleaner problem I guess).could be?

So I certianly have some tuning issues going on, and will probably seek professional help as it stands, I may be out of my element as far as fine tuning goes.... but the other thing that is strange.... when I plug in the electric choke.... it barely runs.

Anyway.... just needed to vent and see if anyone in the Seattle area knows a good tuner who can work through some of the issues I have.

Thanks, Eric
Sorry I can't really help you, but I know the feeling. I spent the weekend after I got my truck replacing the plugs, rotor, cleaning the carb, setting the timing etc., then went for a drive and then BANG!...motor died and wouldn't start. I got out and noticed the distributer had turned while I was driving. I had forgotten to tighten it back down! DoH!

You can figure it out. Have you checked your plugs?
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote