The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
izzy_Britton

Front sheet metal questions

Alrighty then...

So i need to know from people who actually know, what is the actual difference in the sheet metal (fenders, hood, radiator support, etc) between the 1500 and 2500 and 2500HD models of trucks from the same year range. I am not a total idiot and i know that the hoods and fenders between chevy and gmc are different style and look, and that the chevy and gmc shared all the same parts from 99-02/03 ish.

I am asking this question today specifically where is the difference between the 2005/2006 1500 and 2500 models. let me expand on that a bit.

I intend (if i can get it to fit) to install a 2005 chevy 2500HD diesel radiator support into my 2006 gmc 1500 truck.

I have taken many measurements and the two similar parts are not even close, not even a little bit in vertical measurements. for example the 1500 radiator support is 18 inches tall at the outer edge, but the 2500HD is is 21 inches. the center support where the trans cooler mounts is a full 2 inches shorter on the 1500 than the 2500HD.

the a/c condenser is the same size and config between the two but there is a 2 inch spacer under the condenser on the 2500HD radiator support.

the strangest thing is that the 2500HD and the 1500 chevys use the same fenders and same mounting points and these measurements are the same between the 1500 chevy and gmc as they are on the 2500HD.

so i am wondering is the biggest difference is in the hood and bumpers?

Will it all bolt together as planned?

I will get photos today maybe. for a more graphic representation of the question.

I am doing this because i have the crazy idea that i want to turbo the truck, rather than install an aftermarket intercooler crammed somewhere in there i will just use the oem diesel intercooler or if that doesnt work as planned i can at least used the vacant space left from the oem intercooler.

thoughts?

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote