The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Canopy

Just got a call from the painter, Lee. He's going to be done in two days.....Almost a month early (Started July 26; Original ETA, Sept. 26).

I can have the garage for a couple of weeks while the paint and clear REALLY cure. Then, it's outside for my baby.

I've been looking at California Car Covers (the one in the pic isn't that one...it's just a cheapo)...I had a CCC that was nice before with the '72.
Even though I got their be$t one, it didn't really keep rain out. But, anyway, I really would hate to cover the new paint....dirt and all that you can't see,
but that gets in there....

So, I'm considering one of those "Quick Up" canopies that everyone uses at shows. I know that they probably won't hold off the snow. But I'd really like
to keep the sun and rain off of her for a while.

So...Anyone have any good experience with any particular brand those that might be big enough to cover the whole truck? Or, most of the truck?
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Canopy

New paint, car covers and outside. At least you are not in the desert with eternal blowing sand.

The minimum I would recommend is one of those self-standing shader type, no permit garages. They run about $900 for a miniumal size and height. The basic tube structure and sheetmetal roof would give you a high degree of radiant sun protection along with shedding water,small hail and light snow. Being kind of light a heavy snow would probably require a rope clearing but that is probably the worse you would need to do.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

The light metal carports CAN stand up to heavy snow IF their legs are cemented into the ground. I know this by experience.

I am considering extending my front porch into a deck, mainly in order to get a sturdy carport. I will use a minimum of 6x6 posts for support (steel pipe would be better!) and figure out a way to put a sort of "very wide gutter" under the deck itself so as to prevent water falling down on my vehicle.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Tinkermc

Nothing that actually toughes the painted surfaces and a cool rain is the best way to cure paint unless you can bake it.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote