The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2024, 03:44 PM   #1
JDarby

Firewall Brake Booster Conversion Kit's

I always thought I would us the POL Blackout Master Cylinder for 1954-55 Chevy, GMC kits until now when they are out of stock everywhere and being told 30 to 60 days has me turning blue after my IDIDIT fiasco!!!!!

My IDIDIT fiasco.....well
ORDERED FEB. 28th and still have not received my column!
I did not order straight from IDIDIT and have been getting very irritated with my seller only to find after call IDIDIT that they are very backordered and are trying to do the best they can and I should have my column in a few weeks!

Sorry to sound like a little ***** but sometimes you just gotta say what the F really. Why sell something and say it will be available in a week when you flat out well know it is not!!

Big storm over head at the moment gotta go!
2014 TRD Quad CAB
JDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:55 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Firewall Brake Booster Conversion Kit's

I'd imagine that Ididit is that far back ordered simply because all too many people who didn't want to pay the price before are now ordering one to replace the Ebay special they got instead after it fell apart in a few months along with folks who have read all the fuss and went ahead and ordered one in the first place. From what I understand the internal tilt mechanism is Factory GM /Saginaw and the supply chain may be held up there. That is they work though, they use proven parts that are hundreds of thousands of cars built over the past 50 years.

I'm down as not being a fan of firewall boosteers and master cylinders simply because they create ugly clutter in the engine compartment guys work so hard to get clean and uncluttered looking plus I don't want to block the view of the more than 400 dollars worth of polished finned aluminum going under my hood. I won't argue that they don't work better though, If I had and automatic and didn't have an engine that has so many goodies and never intended to open the hood I would run one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:39 PM   #3
JDarby

I am a function over form kinda guy, and with that said when it comes time to replace my master cylinder I don't want to be working under my cab between frame rails!

My build has always been driver driven, meaning I will have a spare tire on the side of my bed, tools for when I need them, etc!

With a C4 suspension I know using the truck for hauling more than an occasional Xmas tree is gonna be about it. My original braking system some how got away from me pedal and all!
So I thought the firewall approach would be easiest but maybe not that I can't seem to get what I wanted because it is out of stock!
2014 TRD Quad CAB
Old 05-23-2024, 04:02 PM   #4
leegreen

cancel the order and look at other options?

https://www.ecklers.com/1947-1953-ch...-245607-1.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28410760446...h=item42262201

I think joedoh sells a plate to bolt a S10 unit in

I have not used any of above personally
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:27 PM   #5
Hcb3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarby View Post
I am a function over form kinda guy, and with that said when it comes time to replace my master cylinder I don't want to be working under my cab between frame rails!
its a one and done thing unless you plan on having to go under there all the time because of issues.

Run a remote fill and you will always know if its topped off. Trust me I had to go under there a few times to check it until we found a leaking wheel cylinder.
But once I put in the remote. I do';t think i have hand to "work" on my master or booster in like 5 years.

Then you don't care what it looks like and really good looking remote reservoirs are a whole lot cheaper but if you have built out that fire wall then guess it is the ole waiting game.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:14 PM   #6
JDarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
cancel the order and look at other options?

https://www.ecklers.com/1947-1953-ch...-245607-1.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28410760446...h=item42262201

I think joedoh sells a plate to bolt a S10 unit in

I have not used any of above personally
I personally will never purchase anything from Ecklers again for the rest of my life! They are thieve's and will never get a red cent on my money!
2014 TRD Quad CAB
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #7
JDarby

Ok after re-thinking my situation and with the help of you guys (especially hcb3200 )
I have reconsidered, and will go on the frame rails with my booster

The idea of a remote fill was the idea I had not thought of and that makes loads of sense to me!

No shame when I be lift'n my hood

Really thanks to all you guys!!!!

The eBay aluminum and black booster looks like a clear winner to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17241918833...90YBKFBDMAXKPW
2014 TRD Quad CAB
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #8
mr48chev

If you aren't dressing the engine compartment up for show there is nothing wrong with running a firewall mount master cylinder if you have an automatic. I had one in my 48 when it was subframed but hated to open my hood at shows and had to open the hood at the 82 Chevy-GMC truckin Nationals in Ogden where I did win a trophy. If I was building a daily driver with an automatic or didn't have money tied up in engine dress up finned polished aluminum and ran the automatic rather than 5 speed I would firewall mount it. Personally I don't like the looks of these trucks and especially lowered custom trucks with the hood open. On the other hand some shows require the hood to be open for judging and the finned aluminum on the six gains points.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:16 AM   #9
dsraven

personally wouldn't do a frame mounted booster unless it was hydroboost style. no much faith in the small diameter vac boosters.
firewall unit for me.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote