The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2024, 02:09 AM   #1
skokie

Bench seat worn out replace or rebuild

The bench seat in my 68 C10 is worn out and needs to be either replaced or rebuilt. There are a few upholstery shops in my area that I am going to call and get quotes on a full rebuild just to know what it would cost etc. I do like the bucket seats with a center console though.

What are you guys running in your trucks? What is a close to factory bolt in without a ton on modification. I have done a search and found everything from bucket seats from a honda to a dodge.

Thanks in advance!

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:51 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: Bench seat worn out replace or rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokie View Post
The bench seat in my 68 C10 is worn out and needs to be either replaced or rebuilt. There are a few upholstery shops in my area that I am going to call and get quotes on a full rebuild just to know what it would cost etc. I do like the bucket seats with a center console though.

What are you guys running in your trucks? What is a close to factory bolt in without a ton on modification. I have done a search and found everything from bucket seats from a honda to a dodge.

Thanks in advance!
Using other models, you’ll have modifications. But if modifications are going to be involved, why not stick with Chevy seats. Check out this thread.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=845608
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:59 AM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I have a full foam seat in my truck. I bought a cover and new foam from Nat'l Parts Depot in Ventura, CA. They're about 35 miles from me, so I took the wife to the pier for lunch and picked them up, along with a sack of hog rings. There were a couple of broken springs, and I was unable to find replacements at that time, so I made them from spring wire from a hobby store. Don't remember what I paid, but you can check that. It'll probably be more, anyway. If your current frame isn't all rusted up, this is probably the cheapest way to go. You can do most of the labor yourself, with one helper to compress the foam.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 12:45 PM   #4
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Using other models, you’ll have modifications. But if modifications are going to be involved, why not stick with Chevy seats. Check out this thread.

Those look awesome!

68 build thread
Old 06-11-2024, 08:51 PM   #5
68bowtie

Here’s my factory 68 bench. I paid for what I got… lol

Name:  IMG_2812.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  55.8 KB

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:52 PM   #6
68bowtie

Oops. Apparently it’s sideways Tuesday…

Old 06-11-2024, 09:14 PM   #7
MS66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
Here’s my factory 68 bench. I paid for what I got… lol

Attachment 2367987
Seat looks good. What all did they replace and what type material is that? Sweet truck
Attached Images

MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:58 PM   #8
68bowtie

Vinyl. I had the upholsterer match the classic parts reproduction door panels for the material. Powder coated the steel parts and bought new foam.

Old 06-11-2024, 10:29 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokie View Post

Thanks in advance!
I have '68 C/10 Stepside. I kinda wish I still had the OEM Bench Seat. Mine had wingnuts holding the back part down. With the wingnuts removed the seat tilted forward. That gave me an idea to attach a rifle scabbard with bunji cords to the springs in back. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind they say. My Marlin .30-30 was totally secure.

Anyway, I was rebuilding my L6 292 at MCAS Yuma in 1977, and somehow got talked into a swap with the Sgt that ran the shop. I traded my original bench for his '69 Thunderbird electric-powered bench-bottom/bucket back Seat, with headrests and fold-down divided arm rest. Also gave him $20 for reupholstering my Fawn Grey Chevy bench. He'd had it in a '66 GMC fleetside.

I don't regret it too much, the power adjustable seat was fun to play with. Good for moving leg positions on a long drive to avoid cramps. But it draws 30@, and has F*rd switches [that can jam] and after a feeder line made of fusable link wire burned up, I quit using the electrics. I've had it reskinned in saddle naugahyde. The T-Bird seat isn't as wide as the old Chevy bench. Three people in front was possible comfortably before.

But I miss the simplicity of the original Chevy bench. Beside the hide away feature, you can access the fuel tank sender without pulling the whole seat.
I could also lay out lengthwise for a nap -- sort of -- I'm 5'10''.

By contrast, I have a '71 GMC Jimmy [like a Blazer]. It was missing its original buckets and console when I bought it in 1995. I bought a Jimmy Console online over 20 years ago, but I'm still dealing with the '80s style Camaro/Firebird buckets a PO put in. They were molded with the springs inside the foam -- and I'm told are un-rebuildable. Broken spring ends pop up and poke me in the butt at the wrong times. They are mounted on extruded ''feet'' in the front, but the back is held down by a pair of lag screws into 4''x 4'' wooden blocks bolted to rthe floor. Head on and I'm dead. I have been looking high and low for good Blazer seats for years, and you wouldn't believe how much people want for them now.

'67 and '68 Bench Seats are cooler than later fixed-back bench seats. By all means just get it reupholstered. They are good sturdy seats.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-11-2024 at 10:45 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 11:52 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Mine had a broken spring. The upholstery guy got what he needed, and his 85 year old neighbor welded in the spring. Then the upholstery guy took over, he's well seasoned too, and has some real great tools. The foam was bad on the drivers side, was the day I bought it in 1989. He cut the top off, glued it down after some prep. Then he cut an inch or so off new foam, formed it perfectly and glued that down on top. Then he installed the SMS seat covers I waited about 16 months for. I got to witness all of it, very great people, Outback Dave, and Dave. Cost about $1400.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:03 AM   #11
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:

Hey my seats, lol. I can say now a year later they are still holding strong and no issues what so ever with any my upholstery work or homemade risers and chevelle seat tracks. Ive even have had them out once to do some under dash work and my counter sink bolts to use as a stud worked perfectly easily reinstalling them.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:08 AM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
Hey my seats, lol. I can say now a year later they are still holding strong and no issues what so ever with any my upholstery work or homemade risers and chevelle seat tracks. Ive even have had them out once to do some under dash work and my counter sink bolts to use as a stud worked perfectly easily reinstalling them.
Yep! And you did a great job. I made it a point to save your thread for the people that are always asking about buckets.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:34 PM   #13
LS short box

Don't know if it would work for you but on my 68 C10 I used 2014 VW GTI buckets. Got the pair from a some what local salvage yard. I think I paid $350 for the pair.
When bought them they were gray with plaid inserts. Didn't like the grey so I used rattle can fabric paint to change the color to black.
A few pics.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #14
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Don't know if it would work for you but on my 68 C10 I used 2014 VW GTI buckets. Got the pair from a some what local salvage yard. I think I paid $350 for the pair.
When bought them they were gray with plaid inserts. Didn't like the grey so I used rattle can fabric paint to change the color to black.
A few pics.
Looks good. Did you have to make brackets for them? How did you install them?

Thanks!

68 build thread
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #15
LS short box

The GTI seats have forward/back sliders, recline and vertical adjustment built in.
The mounting holes on the GTI seats did not match the stock seat mounting holes. I just put them in and got them where I wanted them, then marked the holes and drilled the floor pan.
Then I from the under side of the floor pan I welded in 2" square x 1/8" plates to make sure to the seat bolts could never pull thru the floor seat metal.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #16
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Yep! And you did a great job. I made it a point to save your thread for the people that are always asking about buckets.
Thank you, was a pretty straight forward thing and a much cheaper route than original lowbacks for our trucks and still look correct to most people.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote