The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Bagged1972

Pros and cons

I'm currently bagging my 72 chevy short bed and I was wondering if there are any pros and cons to mounting the bags on top of the rear end vs mounting them on the trailing arms? Any help would be appreciated
Bagged1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Pros and cons

Bag over Axle is a set-up for max towing, and does or can provide a slightly rougher ride.

Bag on Bar or your trailing arms is a smoother ride, but can limit you towing or carrying ability.

Of course ride is subjective, but I help set-up a BOA. I thought it was great, but I prefer firmer rides in general.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Bagged1972

Thanks buddy for the info but is there any difference in the drop I know that the BOA will limit the lift I just didn't know about the drop when aired out
Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Drop is built into the system.

A BOA can still lay out a truck, but your ride height will be lower then a BOB set-up. Also your A-arms only get so much lift too so it is not that big a deal. People do it for the ride, and for space considerations.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Bagged1972

Thanks man I think the BOA is the way I'm gonna go
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
wraprail

I think it would also depend which bags you plan to use. I have firestone 9000s mounted above the axle/outboard the frame. Great ride, load range and travel. I built it to lay frame yet I can still pull my car trailer loaded. But I don't get the large amount of travel you get with bag on bar and 2500 or 2600s
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Bagged1972

I'm running 2600's all the way around I'm not to concerned about hauling anything except a radio flyer wagon or my schwinn bicycle I have another truck for hauling big stuff I just don't want to lose any drop I'm not gonna lay frame so I won't all I can get before the trailing arm hit.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
chevyrestoguy

If you're not planning to haul loads, then the best way to go in your case is a bag-over-arm setup. You have the advantage of leverage, and you can get the truck to ride height without having to put max pressure in the bag, which will give you a softer ride. Because of this, you'll have a bunch of suspension travel from aired out to max pressure. Think about it from a leverage standpoint...a little extension on the bag height equals much more extension at the axle. On a bag-over-axle, your height increase is only going to be what the bag will extend. Oftentimes, in order to get the truck at ride height, you'll have to put a bunch of air in it, and it'll have a much stiffer ride.

Sometimes, you don't have many options, and you have to place the bags over or adjacent to the axle. You have a great option with the trailing arms, and I would take full advantage of it.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Bagged1972

Ok i understand your point but isn't it more dangerous to put the bag on the trailing arm at least that's what I've heard in the past cause I was gonna mount mine on the arm but the only place that it looks like it would clear would be to move the bag up the arm 24in but there again I heard that causes to much of a strain on the arm bushings and will eventually come apart. Now the bags on the axel way looks to me like it would be the easiest way cause I will still get the drop but I won't have much lift but wouldn't 2in lowering blocks give me that extra 2in of lift plus whatever the bag will give me? I won't to be able to ride as low as possible
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Bagged1972

Ok i understand your point but isn't it more dangerous to put the bag on the trailing arm at least that's what I've heard in the past cause I was gonna mount mine on the arm but the only place that it looks like it would clear would be to move the bag up the arm 24in but there again I heard that causes to much of a strain on the arm bushings and will eventually come apart. Now the bags on the axel way looks to me like it would be the easiest way cause I will still get the drop but I won't have much lift but wouldn't 2in lowering blocks give me that extra 2in of lift plus whatever the bag will give me? I won't to be able to ride as low as possible
Old 12-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I'm not sure where you heard about bags on the arms being a safety issue, but its incorrrect. To the point though, you can mount your bags on the stock spring pads and tow more than your truck is rated at. Forum member Scoti has many miles on a daily driven truck with bag on arm set up. He has towed several full size trucks using various trailers with great results.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Bagged1972

As of right now my bags are on the arms but I moved them forward on the arms 24in I'm not gonna tow or haul anything except maybe a few grocery's and my wife and daughter. I was told that was to far forward and that it was dangerous to have them that far forward so I'm just trying to find the safest route on the count that I don't won't to put my family in harms way.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
chevyrestoguy

Put the bags in the exact same spot where the factory coil spring was. It's an excellent position which will provide proper lift and drop, a nice ride, and the proper leverage. In my opinion, 24" forward of the factory location of the coil spring is too far forward. Slide it back, and you'll be good. There are literally thousands of '60-'72 trucks out there with the bags in the "factory" location. The GM engineers back in the day were very sharp, and oftentimes, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
bedsled71

it will ride better in the stock location. I don't know if it is any more "dangerous" moved up but the ride wont be as smooth. you would have more stress on the factory pivot bushings and have to control bounce with a stiffer shock
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote