The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Coley

Dash Pad Installation Procedure???

Ok, does anyone have a simple, clear installation procedure for installing a new dash pad within an existing (fully assembled) truck interior?.....with a/c.

I was wondering if anyone had boiled this down to a predictable method.
What has to be removed?...what is optional?....what is the worst part?....how long does it take?....what tools specifically are required or recommended?....what to take care with?

Anyone who has some insight on this....please 'bring it on'

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Dash Pad Installation Procedure???

Well, not a fun procedure if the dash isn’t a little bit apart to begin with. I pulled my ac controller and gb liner out to get to the studs (I THINK I left the radio in place, but it’s been awhile. I might have had to pull it too). Not sure if a non-ac gb liner is a problem, but I’d imagine that it is. Someone with tiny hands might be able to do it all without all that trouble, but I think it was less frustration in the long run. Bottom line, the more you remove, the easier it gets. So, I guess my procedure was to get at what I could, and then remove whatever was in the way when i ran into it - I think the hard part is admitting that some of them are impossible to get to and just biting the bullet early on and removing a few things that are in the way.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
kwmech

Remove glove box, upper center AC vent assembly, instrument cluster. 1/4 drive ratchet 3/8'' deep and shallow socket. Do not over tighten when installing. Always turns into a big deal when I do it, glove box seems to tear along with the AC vent tubes. One thing leads to another
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Coley

Good info so far guys....many thanks!

I am ok (and quick) on taking the cluster assembly out...no worries there...so that might largely solve the 'left side' of the dash.
With respect to the right side, I have a new glovebox available so if I ruin the 45 year old one (likely) taking it out I have a replacement.

Now...the center area....hmmm.....as well as a new dash pad I have a new center a/c vent that I would like to install...and maybe upgrade the dash speaker while I am at it, which quit working long ago and before I had the truck (maybe its simply disconnected???)
I am thinking that the radio has got to come out somehow (through the glovebox opening???)

The thing I am trying to avoid is a 3 week project/tear down in doing this.

One thing I don't have is new a/c-defrost hoses....so I don't want to have to ruin those taking all of this stuff out.

Any ideas as to a probable time frame?....noting that I've factored in getting the left side undone within an hour (ie: cluster out 20 minutes and then 40 minutes to undo the left side fasteners).

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
demian5

You may have to file the holes bigger toward the face of the dash to get the pad to fit depending on the pad, but this is no simple R&R man especially with AC.

If you know what you are doing and confident in your skills, if you do it right and clean stuff while you have them out, its about a 2 hour job.

Drop the column to get the cluster out cleaner to prevent damage. Maybe replace bezel/lens and glove box since they will be out.

Don't forget the hard line for the oil gauge, it may drip on the carpet when disconnected (do this with truck cold).
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Coley

Smile Re: Dash Pad Installation Procedure???

lol....probably a 1-1/2 minute operation at the original assembly plant....and a 4-5 hr operation afterwards......(I'm hoping for under 4 hrs )

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 05-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
demian5

Read this before you start:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=24998
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

If you have a good original dash pad then just set it up there without any fasteners, you will be the only one that knows its not fastened down, the fasteners are not visible and it doesn't rattle, move etc.....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
If you have a good original dash pad then just set it up there without any fasteners, you will be the only one that knows its not fastened down, the fasteners are not visible and it doesn't rattle, move etc.....
LOL Double-sided 3M trim tape
Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Still has to remove the old one
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
davepl

I went through this myself. The reproduction blue dashes are the "wrong" color and it drove me crazy, so after I was done, I removed it and repainted it the correct factory color. But that meant doing exactly what you're facing, which is basically to take everything out.

Yeah, if not for removing the old one, I'd install it with 3M VHB rather than removing the entire dash.

I don't think there are any shortcuts. The glovebox, HVAC, and cluster need to come out. Sucks.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Coley

So time wise.....what did it take you guys to do this?....or if you had a chance for a 'do-over' what do you think it would take?
ie:......3 hrs?.....5 hr?

I think you guys are on the money with the simple fact that there is no easy way. The cluster, glovebox and upper a/c stuff has to come out.

....how about the radio?....needed or useful?....difficult?
(note: I did one of these about 20+ years ago and I can't remember the specifics....but I do remember the swearing, lol)

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 05-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
One thing I don't have is new a/c-defrost hoses....so I don't want to have to ruin those taking all of this stuff out.
Might better plan on all new hoses while you're in there. Mine completely disintegrated when I removed them last year -- totally rotten, far beyond hope of further duct tape patching.

I had already removed everything else noted above, including the radio. Can't estimate the time spent because it was an ongoing project spread out over more days than I'd care to remember.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
jocko

Good catch kwmech- I forgot the upper ac vent...
3-4 hrs is a good estimate.
This is one of “those” jobs that, because you want to accomplish as much as possible while it’s apart, explodes into about 10 other jobs. I’d plan 3-4 hours but give it a full week
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Dash Pad Installation Procedure???

Take the cluster out and glove box out. Radio out yes through the glove box. Take your time and it will not be bad. 3-4 hrs ! You could do it in half that if you already know what to take loose.
Defrost vent should not have to come out. Center vent for AC is 2-7/16 nuts. Take the hoses off and it's out.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #16
thedudeabides86

Hello,

So here's the start of my dash pad replacement.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762654

As you can see I removed the glove box, radio, defrost unit, and gauge cluster. I wanted to replace the glove box cardboard insert as I had a modern radio installed to keep the look of the interior looking original at best. I pulled that radio (it was a tape deck) since the age of Bluetooth is upon us and reclaimed the space in my glove box.

There was a lot of swearing. It's not at all a fun task. Getting to the studs on the glove box side were a breeze because you can stick your head in the dash and crane your neck pretty easy. The driver's side suuuuuuuucks because you have to lay on the floor and reach up to get around the steering wheel.

I have a wife and kids and a full time job so I worked on this for 2 - 3 hours in the garage at night for the last 3 nights. Last night I got the dash pad in. Tonight I'll work on installing the radio, but those damn slim nuts are a real biotch to get started on the volume and tuning knobs. In my case, beer and polka music definitely helps progress the work. I'm planning on posting pictures upon completing this major pain in the ass job. This new dash pad is black as I was worried I wasn't going to color match to the factory color and all I want to do is drive the thing and enjoy it right now. In 46 more years when this pad gets ugly, my son can deal with changing the next dash pad.

If you have any questions or find any cool tips or trcks, I'd be glad to hear them. Be sure to post pics as you progress. Best of luck .
Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #17
davepl

It's not that long of a job, 3-4 hours like Andy says (to get the stuff out of the way). That's being careful, dropping the column, taking your time.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
randy500
Account Suspended

I see your almost done with the job...here is a tip...

Put pressure down on the dash pad over the stud and most of the nuts should come loose by hand, you can tighten it down the same way. The hand pressure reduces the tight portion of the nut where you need a wrench or socket by at least half the amount of turns or partial turns of the nut.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
Coley

I think the toughest part of this will be the removal...because I will have to access all of the nuts to get the existing one out.
As for the re-assembly...I am thinking of adapting a few tips here including possibly using some quality 2 sided tape for the most difficult or 'inaccessible' nuts....then just use 'nutting' for the ones that are more accessible.

I've still got to warm up to this tho' given the fact that my existing (original) dash pad is still pretty good with a minimal amount of cracking, warping etc.
I was able to find a nice, new one...hence entertaining the idea of killing a few birds with one (assembly) stone:...the dash pad, the new centre a/c vent, new radio speaker, and a new glovebox.

all good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 05-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #20
randy500
Account Suspended

I still stand by my original post of just laying it up there, its not gonna move around or fall off.