The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
7 Devils

Tig welder

Just ordered a new Tig welder. Trying something new based on the reviews over the last year or so. Normally get red or blue boxes but this time I'm going to try out the Everlast PowerTig 200DV. It's an AC/DC unit so it can do aluminum on addition to various forms of steel. Should be good for mild Fab work. It is pulse capable and has a ton of features and they are WAY less money for the same capabilities on the big names.
Once I've burned a few rods I'll update this post with my opinion on it.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Tig welder

I was wanting a tig...I was looking at eastwoods digital 200...after talking to several very certified welders they said the same....if it ain't red or blue forget it....but I can't swing 3k plus just for hobbies....so ill stick to my mig I guess...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-03-2018 at 01:20 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
7 Devils

Well, I'm not certified but I've been at it for decades and several of my certified friends have tried Everlast and no longer buy red or blue for personal use. I guess it depends on who you ask. Several welding forums have been pretty impressed by them too. Could be the China junk attitude, but on some items China does just fine since they are only building to predetermined specs.

I guess we will see.

Dan
Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Hack_Attack

I bought an Everlast tig welder back in 2012. The big thing that sold me on it was the 5 year warranty....I figured if it were to have issues, it would likely be in the first 5 years. Its been great and I haven't had any problems with it other than having to clean the high frequency points inside. No big deal. I don't know how they are set up anymore but mine came with a cheap foot pedal and I upgraded to a pedal from SSC Controls out of Ohio. This made a HUGE difference on the control of the arc. I also had a problem with trying to learn with the big, bulky water cooler torch that came with it. I swapped that torch out with a air cooled unit with a super flexible hose that I love. The only regret that I have is, the unit I bought was a 3 in one machine. (TIG, STICK, PLASMA CUTTER) I wish I would have just bought separate tig and plasma cutter since its such a hassle to change to the different functions. Ive welded MANY bicycle frames with my Everlast tig and I love it. Lots of info on settings and whatnot on YOUTUBE....I basically taught myself to tig weld from YOUTUBE.
Hack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
7 Devils

Awesome, glad to hear it been reliable. I thought about a multifunction machine but I already have a mig unit and a plasma cutter. I prefer to buy quality tools since dealing with breakage and erratic behavior is a pain. However if I can get solid quality at a better price I will every time. Plus I'm saving up for a much bigger investment. We are hoping to get an Arclight 5x5 cnc plasma table in the next couple of years.
I know several automotive fabricators that use the Everlast stuff and love it.

Good info on the pedal and torch.

Dan
Old 04-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
treveiger

Red and blue machines are great but the price reflects the name they made over the years. We were in the market of getting a mig welder last fall and for several months I was researching and had decided on a Miller mig welder, until I looked at the Eastwood mig welders. They seemed to be well made from what I was seeing online. After a few months back and forth I decided to get the Eastwood mig welder due to the higher duty cycle, price, and the great things I kept hearing about them. I like the welder so far and for my needs it's more than what is needed.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
71cheyennesuperlongb

As a retired Union Pipefitter of 40 years,If I were to buy a new machine to replace my blue 200 amp one ,I would look long and hard at ESAB.yellow.They look to be very well made,and take a lot of abuse. Like the red and blue ones you can get a machine very well set for your needs at comparable prices.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cheyennesuperlongb View Post
As a retired Union Pipefitter of 40 years,If I were to buy a new machine to replace my blue 200 amp one ,I would look long and hard at ESAB.yellow.They look to be very well made,and take a lot of abuse. Like the red and blue ones you can get a machine very well set for your needs at comparable prices.
I already ordered it, but coming from a 40 year pipe fitter I know full well you've burned a few more rods than I have. With that said I will look carefully into that. As production ramps up we will be adding additional machines. Thanks for the info!

Dan
Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
cdub2010

Be sure to post updates of how the machine works. Im in the market for a tig machine. I have only used a Miller Dynasty 350 and Lincoln Aspect 375 so I have no idea how the lower end units perform as I have never tried any. Ill be doing light fab work so im looking something around 200 amps. Anything bigger and I can hire it out.
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
Pinchecharlie

The cool thing is you will be learning to rig weld! No more shying away from aluminum cab and they are so much easier to metal finish when you get good! So what's one of these set a guy back? I want to learn too! But I all ways get sticker shock at the welding supply.
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #11
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
The cool thing is you will be learning to rig weld! No more shying away from aluminum cab and they are so much easier to metal finish when you get good! So what's one of these set a guy back? I want to learn too! But I all ways get sticker shock at the welding supply.
So I will gladly post reviews/results once I have the machine and burn a couple rods to get back into the swing of it. The unit inordere is the Everlast PowerTig 200 DV. It has a lot of great features. It comes with a 26 torch, 2T/4T modes, pedal, regulator, and basic consuumables. I will be using 2% lanthanated tungsten and in most cases ER70S-6 as I do alot of fabricating with carbon steel, although I occasionally work with aluminum.
As I said earlier in the thread I know some incredibly talented fabricators that have Everlast machines and love them. Time will tell if I agree with them.
Cost outside of tungsten, rod and argon is under $1300. For the same level of claimed performance red and blue we're over a grand higher in price.

Dan
Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
Ziegelsteinfaust

I would look at a esab or even Miller's version. I need a second set up for a different garage I have, and it would open up alot of things to me.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I would look at a esab or even Miller's version. I need a second set up for a different garage I have, and it would open up alot of things to me.
I looked at the red and blue machines. For the same level of features/performance they were well over a grand more expensive. That's why you chose the Everlast machine after talking to other pro welders that had been using them long term.

Dan
Old 05-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Pinchecharlie

How'd this turn out?
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Getter-Done

Dan
I am going to purchase one of these.
I am interested in how you like it so far.
The Tig function is all I will use.
Thanks
Dwayne
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote