The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
EZ4U2C

Mind ya own Business.......

Is there anyone like me, just out riding in my truck and you have someone come up to you and start telling ya about THE TIME. The time they had a truck just like yours and how fast, how shiny,how much money they had in
it and what you could do better if you did this or that............: Well can't we just enjoy what we like without that know it all, done it all, and had it all butting all up in our business. I know there has to be someone out there
that can understand where I coming from. Sorry but I had to vent
EZ4U2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Re: Mind ya own Business.......

I don't have the truck done yet but I would simply tell them, "This is my truck, it was built with my hands the way I want it, if you want it to be different I will sell it to you for $100,000 otherwise SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!!!"

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Vent if you want to. We all need that.

That same guy will come over and lend a wrench if you brake down in front of McDonalds. Give him a chance to enjoy his memory and share in your experience even if it is only vicariously.

As an experiment raise your hood sometime in a parking lot and see how many guys stop in 15 minutes. All willing to help and all with a short story if you want to hear.

my .02

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If they came up to you they did so for a reason, they like your truck. They're simply remembering the truck they had or have. Does it really hurt to listen? You've honestly never walked by someone getting into a cool old car/truck and didn't want to talk to them and tell them about your "ride"? As far as them telling you how to do things, just listen. Who says you have to do what they say, but you never know, they may just have a cool idea you never thought of. It's nice to vent about stuff every now and then, but is this something to really "vent" about? After all, if people weren't meant to ask or talk to you about your ride, why do we have car shows? If you don't want people to bother you, drive a stock 2wd toyota truck, otherwise enjoy the attention
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
ratrod67

It dosen't bother me. I actually had a guy ask me about my 67 SWB and started telling me about his 20 years ago. After talking with him about 20 minutes he gave me his address and told me to stop by sometime. He'd like to show his wife my truck. About a week later I stopped by his house. We B.S'ed a little and he told me he had a few parts he found in his shed and gave them to me. I got a new windshield, gasket and GM front bumper.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
boogie67

I have a 56 belair that Im going to get to when I finish the 67.I have met so many cool people when they stop to ask me if its for sale.My brother says I should ask them if they see a for sale sign on it.I would never have met them if I was like that.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
bskylerj
Account Suspended

I think that is one of the best parts of owning our trucks and other collector vehicles. Many people have had or a family member has had a truck and they hold great memories for them.
bskylerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundstaffpress
As an experiment raise your hood sometime in a parking lot and see how many guys stop in 15 minutes. All willing to help and all with a short story if you want to hear.

my .02
No kinding. One day my blazer stalls in the middle of a busy street. Raised the hood and a tow truck driver stops and sticks his head under the hood and gives me a hand for the short 3 or 4 minutes to get it going again. He did not even want to hook up as he was on his way home. He just loved the truck and wanted to help.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

I enjoy folks looking and commenting on mine. Can't count the times on both hands that conversations started like this ended up with the guy or somebody he knew having parts stashed away they were trying to get rid of.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
If you don't want people to bother you, drive a stock 2wd toyota truck, otherwise enjoy the attention
totally.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
cdowns

sounds to me like you should get yourself a KIA or maybe a HUNDAI and you don't have to worry about people bothering you..

seriously it's all part of the classics ownership game// you've got a couple of choices you can act real rude and arrogent and just blowem off or you can take it as a compliment and have a pleasant conversation with them/// you never know when some crusty old fart in the middle of reminising will tell you "hey i've got a tailgate in the barn that i took off in 72 you want it??"// what approach do you think will get you that type of info??

i'll listen all day long to old stories about bikes bicycles cars etc but then i'm a real old fart
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
_Dick_
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER

I have Daily Driver that looks like a Show Truck,you know the kind custom inside ect .I get lots of these type chaps ,I alway try to end then with ,"I love old trucks, playing with then trying to fix then up ,Do you know where any are i can go look at ?????
_Dick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #13
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. Enjoy the attention you get from having an old truck, no matter how stupid or fake it sounds. Like mentioned above, you may find some crusty old fart or someone with a stash of parts that they'd give you. IMO those stories you hear about old cars and what people did to them are the best stories out there.

Last edited by JAKES 68GMC; 03-01-2006 at 07:44 PM.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
jbon64

hey EZ , i know what you mean . i drove a super cool 63 nova , then later a lowered 69 swb p/u . both vehicles attracted attention , thumbs up , people stopping me in the parking lot to chat so on so forth . BUT, it seems that for every 50 or so positive comments , there was always one jagdork that would tell me what i did wrong , what i should have done .what would have looked better or just flat out told me my car/truck sucked. i usually just said thanks and moved on .

64 nova wagon , 63 nova convertible
jbon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
1969 GMC

That's funny. When my truck ran (ha) no one would compliment me on it. I'd usually get looks you would think were reserved for child molestors and/or the phantom of the opera.

Although I guess if you count offers to buy as compliments, then yes, it was "complimented" fairly often. People would come into my work and ask me how much I wanted for it. Umm, if I sold it to you I'd have to walk home!

Usually ask for around $3k more than what I paid for it. I figured if anyone actually offered it up, I'd take it and buy a better truck. Unfortunately (haha) no one did so I am stuck with it.

One guy saw it and said he had a similar one. I told him I was going to put a Dodge front axle and an International transfer case under it and he suddenly didn't want to talk to me any more.

Some people's kids, I tell ya.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
el curioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY
No kinding. One day my blazer stalls in the middle of a busy street. Raised the hood and a tow truck driver stops and sticks his head under the hood and gives me a hand for the short 3 or 4 minutes to get it going again. He just loved the truck and wanted to help.
This happened to me once and the tow truck guy was real cool he said "Im on my way home and im allready off duty if you want I could help you out" so my first reaction was okay you got a set of pliers and a screw driver and a ride to the local auto zone and he said "no, but I have a tow truck". So he towed my truck home.
Some if THESE people just want to help. On the ride home he actually TOLD ME ABOUT his truck and might I say real nice 69 SWB.

Every once in a while people do approace me about my truck. All I do is say Thats a good idea I might just think about it and them tell them thank you and good bye.

P.S Pricks dont get free tows home

Last edited by el curioso; 03-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.
el curioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
krue
Designated A-hole!

I don't have that problem, guess most people are trying to figure how long it's been since they've had a tetanus shot when they look at my truck.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #18
pebbleboy
Son Of Gravel Man

I had a few people say something to me about my truck (a few were nice too) I enjoy talking to them about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
What one man calls a budget part, another man calls his entire budget.
pebbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #19
rauto13
saving one more

I have had just a few tell me about their truck

one guy was driving an beatup Astro van and was telling how nice his truck used to be then he got into Astro vans and sold his truck to pay for them

then there is this girl that works at the local Sonic, she has a truck similar to mine and we always wind up talking about our trucks

I think it's cool
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #20
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbon64
BUT, it seems that for every 50 or so positive comments , there was always one jagdork that would tell me what i did wrong , what i should have done .what would have looked better or just flat out told me my car/truck sucked. i usually just said thanks and moved on .
No one should ever insult a man's truck. A man's truck is his Castle.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #21
Robert1970C20rstbukt

Sometimes people will talk to me and say stuff like "don't get rid of it, it's worth fixing 'cause it's tougher than the new ones" or things like that. A lot of people still know my truck as "my Grandpaw's truck", I think that's cool. I've seen more and more of these driving around town now too. I've seen a white 69-70 C10 LWB with a flatbed, one was a 71-72 C20 LWB ochre/white chevy and is owned by a plumbing company, another is a 69-70 C20 red-orange LWB and is a farm truck. I also saw a blue 69-70 chevy LWB fleetside pulling a horse trailer last week, don't see that one very often. Another guy has a primer/rusted GMC SWB fleetside and I see that truck every other day. Another has a hugger orange/white two-tone 71-72 C10 LWB Chevy and I see that one a lot too. We always wave or revv the engines when we pass each other. On the downside, I have seen people make faces when they look at it, probably because it's not a lexus or a navigator, screw 'em!

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck

Last edited by Robert1970C20rstbukt; 03-01-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
EZ4U2C

Thanks for all the responces. I think there may be a couple that maybe did misunderstand me........ it's not that I don't enjoy the attention over my truck, I do! And it's not that I don't like talking to people about it. Shoot I'm a very out going person and love to talk chrome, paint, speed, classics and all that goes along with all old vehicles, but come on guys don't stand in my face and talk trash about my truck. That's like saying a mans wife is fat and ugly, she maybe but don't him that because he must see something in her. Also I can listen and be the first to say that's a great idea but when ya talk trash and then walk off to get into something that drinks more oil than gas, well I just what to go
EZ4U2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #23
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

My old 72 is not a show truck in fact it's clean most of the time. I am 59 with gray hair and beard and my favorite is when someone pulls up next to me at a stop light and you can read their lips, "I bet that old man bought that truck brand new". I just grin and wave and let them have their thoughts.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 AM   #24
Radman

Very interesting thread!! I drive a resale red show truck. i put 3 yrs of my life into redoing the beast from the ground up. I know every nut ,bolt and ding that's in my truck. Yes, it's very disheartning when some WANNABEE comes and grannys your truck. I listen intently to every word he says, like he's the new mesiah and my life will be forever changed by his advice. When he is done, I say his ride must be flawless, lets go check it out!!! I geuss i have never seen a perfect car,truck moped,(insert vehicle of choice here)!!!! and i can learn so much from you!!!

Watch him backpedal and turn all different colors of red. For ever butt hole out there like that you usually get 100 comments or thumbs up.

The best compliment i ever got was when my wife and me were on a cruise to a run. We ended up going thu the city. I was sitting at a light and a ford windstar pulled up next to me. They got my attention because the women was yelling at there 3 screaming porchclimbers!!!! My truck has a cammed up 496 BBC with loud exhaust and we could hear them!!! So, me and my wife were stairing at them and the driver was looking over my truck, He glances over at his screaming pile of humanity, looks back at me with the most dejected look on his face, and gives me the thumbs up!!!

We are a lucky bunch of people, Enjoy the comments and ignore the buttheads. They will never get it!!!
My beast is at www.classictruckworld.tenmagazines.com
go to gallerys, then 1968 in the yr column, Mine is the BCHN-68 gallery
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #25
Russell
Professional Grade

Radman -- Thats an awesome rig!

I personally love it when someone comes up and talks to me about the truck they had just like mine at one point. I never used to get many compliments driving the 80 or the 89, but both the 74 and the 77 (esspecially the 77) always get lots of attention The 77 is a little short step, so lots of guys tell me about their step side trucks, get thumbs up etc