The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
56hotrodred

new doors or fix old ones on 56 1/2 ton

My body shop just told me that the bottoms of my doors need fixin.

I am looking into all possibilitites and was wondering what peoples experiences have been with the new doors available from Brothers, LMC, etc... New door prices range from $450.00 to $600.00 and then at least a couple of hundred dollars for shipping. Parts to repair the lower door portions are not that much but the body shop says it could 10-12 hrs a door to fix. These guys have done lots of work for me and I trust them. On occassion they have even let me come in and sand or pull things apart to try to save me a little money. Not sure if that service is available in big cities!

I have heard some horror stories about front fenders and actually just found a real sweet front clip in amazing shape for the same truck. The same guy still has the used doors and is checking them out for me.

Anyway do the new aftermarket doors fit? How much modification(s) do they require? I and my body shop expect some fit issues with new doors but are wondering how much "fitting" they require.

Thanks in advance.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: new doors or fix old ones on 56 1/2 ton

The fit depneds on a lot of things. If you replaced the steps, Pillars and hinge panel. You may have some work to do with new or used or repaired doors. Another issue is how much your truck cab has torqued and twisted over the years ( they all do ).

So it depends on how much work you want to do or can do and how nuch money you have to spend.

New doors with shipping and installation could be $2000 by the time your done. Used doors that are repaired would be much less in labor and installation but you still have the time in body work and getting it to new door condition.

My personal opinion is if you don't like doing body work or can't do it and not doing a restoration, buy new. If your doing a complete resto and like doing metal work and tinkering with fit and finish then buy the parts.

New, used or repaired fit is going to be an issue.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
55ChevyPU

Re: new doors or fix old ones on 56 1/2 ton

I have a repro door on my passenger side, by the time I got the thing to fit right it would have been easier to repair my old door and with my old door it would still have fit better
55ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote