The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
The Big Green

I got a 47 chevy, I think, but need help.

I will post pics, but here's the deal, its my uncles and has been parked for 20 to 25 years in a feild. He bought it from his uncle for a $100 and it had good blue paint and a good running straight 6. The truck has set because of a bad starter, he bought a different truck and parked this one. It was given to me for free just because he doesn't want it to sit any longer. He is a farmer and it was used to haul square bales. He thinks it was a 47 but I could use some help to really know how to tell.

Last edited by The Big Green; 03-04-2008 at 01:44 AM.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
55dude

Re: I got a 47 chevy, I think, but need help.

the body looks to be 47'. no wing windows and pull down door handles is pre 51' unless they have been changed there is casting numbers on block: passenger side above the starter you need to look close, yhen moving towards radiator their should be some more(head will have some also) then by the dist. their is a machined pad with stamped numbers find them and post them. cool new project!

Last edited by 55dude; 03-04-2008 at 02:08 AM.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Smokejohnson

There should be a tag on the inside of the drivers door. Copy the serial number and search the web or post it here and somebody will help.
Smokejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
The Big Green

Thanks guys, I found the serial number on the drivers door and will post it on here in about an hour and maybe someone could find out what year, but my uncle swears its a 47 and if so I'd like to see if its the matching number engine. I'll look and post the engine numbers later tonight also, but the doors could be different and I think they could very possibly be bad again...lol. My uncle can't find the title, what can I do about that? I heard the last titled owner is the only one that can file for a lost one. I have a 67 Chevy swb now and would just like to restore this one that has been in the family for so long, twice as old as me if not more. I really hope I can restore it and if its worth it. The serial number is 3GP-E 11005. Thanks again. I LOVE CHEVYS!!!

Last edited by The Big Green; 03-04-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
The Big Green

Ok, the numbers on the head are

B36 018

I'll check back in and look again for numbers on the engine but its really dirty.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
orgalmeister

Serial # Indicates 1949. That's the "G" in the #.
your # 3GP -E 11005 1st # Assembly plant St. Louis Mo. 2nd is year G=1949, 3rd is series, P=3100/ half ton, 4th is the month, E= May, last 6 are your production #'s
Gone: 72 SB, 67 CST, 57 BBW, 47 Panel streetrod,
orgalmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
The Big Green

Thanks alot, I thought it was a 47 like my uncle said but I was on LMC Trucks website and I though it was a 49 instead because they have details of every year truck. Thanks alot though because now I know for sure and it makes it easier to order parts...lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
The Big Green

One more question for everyone, its driving me crazy because I want to restore this but NO title. What can I do?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
bad4587

You can google for information-check out "chevytrucks.org" it has all the info you need.

title-your local motor vehicle division should have someone that can do the leg work for you to find or help you get a new title. They do a 50 state search, if it comes out clean....you can title it to your name, if someone owns it you need to make every effort, certified letter, to contact the owner and if no reply then you can title it to yourself. I did this last year cost me about $250 for the title leg work.

good luck!! look forward to following your build!!

bad4587
bad4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
The Big Green

Thanks, I heard something about $200 or so and you can get a title but I didn't know how you go about doing it, like who the money goes to. Its my uncles truck and before that it was his uncle so its been in the family for a while now. Thanks alot and let the building begin...lol. Its gonna be a long road ahead and I have alot of questions, so I'll be around this board alot probably. I'm around the 67-72 board also, I've got a 67 but it can wait till this one is done, this one needs more help.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
pugs

looks like a nice project. if the title was in your uncles name and if possible he has some an old registration, he can take that to the dmv and get a duplicate title
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Daniel U

Looks like it's the original motor. The VIN for thetitle will be the casting # on the block, not the serial # on the driver's side door jam. When I went to get my new plates I thought my '54 had been "stolen" from the previous owner, cause the title and serial didn't match. I think back in the days they used the engine block # for the VIN. Just some trivia I learned from an old hot rodder.
BTW, what do you plan on doing with it? Frame off, dd, rat rod, repair and drive as is? More pics!
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Brings back memories, nice project you got there.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel U View Post
Looks like it's the original motor. The VIN for thetitle will be the casting # on the block, not the serial # on the driver's side door jam. When I went to get my new plates I thought my '54 had been "stolen" from the previous owner, cause the title and serial didn't match. I think back in the days they used the engine block # for the VIN. Just some trivia I learned from an old hot rodder.
BTW, what do you plan on doing with it? Frame off, dd, rat rod, repair and drive as is? More pics!
I'm pretty sure its the original engine in it, aleast it seems to have aged along with the truck. I'm gutting it this weekend and will start on sanding it hopefully this weekend also. I know I will find alot of cancer in the old truck, it doesn't look to bad now but I don't know whats underneath. It will be a frame off, and daily driver, and it will be in flat black, rat look and mouse under the hood. I have pictured what it will look like on the outside, flat black and smoothie wheels, 15 inch, no 20s lol. I want whitewalls, the all whitewall tires and not the little half inch thick wannabe whitewall tires. I will have lots of questions and will need more than alot of parts probably. I will look for the # on block when I pull it out, its to dirty and I cant see it. I want the original engine but hate the little 6, so I may do a 350 swap and keep the old 6 in a shep out of the rain and save it. I wont get rid of the stock engine, never.

He doesn't have anything on the truck, he's an old farmer and probably never tagged it...lol. As for the title he said he doesn't really know if he ever got one. I can believe that because it came from my great uncle and he bought it for a 100 bucks hince why there may not have been a title, it could have just been a $100 farm beater truck. Held up really good, i dent in the old thing. He has a, I believe 85 chevy 3/4 with dents in every panel and the frames been broken in half on both sides right above the rearend, 3 times. They sure don't make them like they used to...lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
The Big Green

Its a 49!!! Whoo hoo LOL

I have a good question for you guys, Who would fix and drive as is? I has sit for 20 years or so, lets say, new tires, brakes fixed and bled, engine replaced with a 350 and 400t, and a new(free from mouse poop) seat. Who would do this and drive it. I would have it in flat black paint also, and I'm not saying I'm doing this but it would be nice to be in something this old with this much history gaster than 4 or 5 years for a frame off.

I called the Revenue office and they told me that if I don't know the name of the previous owner then I can fill out some papers and do some dirty work and get a bonded title. I don't know what a bonded title is but I don't want to sink money into what I don't really own. What is a bonded title, is it an ok thing?

Last edited by The Big Green; 03-04-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
Daniel U

They are much cheaper to do that way. Sometimes I want another one to do that way, just because you wont worry about door dings or someone stealing it. Besides, you could get it on the road faster!
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
The Big Green

I want it to be nice and it can be a little at a time while it gets out on the road. I have a good 350 and 400t that I can install, and I can get it on the road and looking ok in a good flat black in a few months, maybe...lol. I can always do a disk brake kit when I'm ready. Whats up with the rearend in this thing? It doesn't really have a driveshaft or u-joints in the rear, unless there is a little d-shaft under the cab.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #18
55dude

if that motor turns over by hand bet it will run! i always found it fun to see if we could fire off old motor that had been sitting. a bonded title is no problem because your truck has been in the family for years so nobody is going to come along and claim it. i always in the past set a calender aside and kept track at $$ per day storage if anyone claimed the vehicle. also keeping all receipts including your time in a safe place because the claiment has too reimburse you for the cost and it usually exceedes value of the vehicle. i always run vin and licence number right away to see if vehicle is stolen,if not apply for bonde title and your home free.3 years is the waiting period in washington state and they will still give you licence tabs in the meantime to drive vehicle.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #19
The Big Green

Thanks, I thought I was right on the bonded title, meaning the last titled owner can come and take but far as I know its been in the family for around 30 years. The truck was owned by my great uncle and I heard it came from down in Texas. The 3rd owner ago my not even be living because they was 30 years ago and if he was the first owner he may very well be around 90 and I douth I'm the 4th owner of a 59 year old truck, could be but not likely. Its been raining here for like 20 hours so as soon as it stops I'll try and turn the engine over and if it does I'll drop in a battery and clean the carb and dist., poor some gas in the carb and try and fire it up...lol, oh, and new plugs too.