The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
joe231

Any auto computer gurus?

Just talked to a friend of mine.
He has a 2004 Avalanche. very low miles around 10,000. believe it has passlock 2.
he thought the battery was dead and disconnected it and tried a fresh battery. guess the truck sits for extended periods with out use.
it won't start, starter won't even kick out the bendix or try to spin. The pass lock light is on steady on the dash. He tried to do the re-learn, and the light won't go out. the dash lights stay on constant even with the key out of the vehicle. the power windows will not work with the doors closed, but open the doors and the windows and locks work. he tried reading the pcm codes and the pcm will not communicate with the scanner. everything I see online says the passlock disables the fuel system, can't find anything saying it disrupts the start circuit. there is lots of people out there with passlock problems. Anyone have info or have had similar issues TIA
He is thinking he will have to get it towed to the dealer, and just bend over and take it like a man.
don't ya just love technology?
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
dailydragger03

Re: Any auto computer gurus?

The same thing happened to a Buick Ranier in the parking lot of the napa store I work at. It had all of the same symptoms plus the key wouldn't come out. The owner had it towed and I have know idea what became of it. I hope somebody chimes in with some info on this. It would be interesting to know what the cause is. Best of luck

Daniel
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
joe231

thanks for the moral support
Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
bwood

Bad ign/key switch. Same issue with my mon in laws Blazer. No fuel pump, no start and Passlock light on. Hers is a 99 and apparently there is a known failure rate with them on these trucks as the dealer knew of the symptoms and keeps 3 in stock. The switch still works mechanically, but the "sensing" part thinks the wrong key has been inserted/ the ign has been forced. Good Luck
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
joe231

thanks man,
that is what I'm seeing online, but it didn't specifically say that it would not even turn over....your mom in laws wouldn't even spin the engine?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
bwood

No, but she also had an aftermarket GM alarm system installed, so it may have also had something to do with it not turning over. It actually died once while pulling out of her driveway, she said the secrurity light started flashing and the truck stalled, when I got there the fuel pump wouldn't prime. Anyway, I took it to the dealer to have it checked out. They said they could communicate with the Passlock system and see where the fault was coming from. It showed a tamper at the keyswitch (which is what they told me when I first called on the phone). It has been about 1 1/2 years and no problems since.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
joe231

thanks for the info!!!