The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
denverslim

New guy here

I'm new to this place--still trying to learn to navigate around and ask a few questions without trying to be too pesty and gain some information. I'm not having much luck with searching out the answers.

I own several restored cars and enjoy them all. I have been through the entire gambit of restoring my own through buying one already completed so I know some of the procedures, however I don't currently own a Chevy or a truck. I have noticed that the cars that mean the most to me are the ones that I have memories for. I have owned several highly sought after classics but I have noticed that if I don't have a history with this make/model, I soon get bored with it and sell it.
This leads me to the Chevy truck.
In the fall of '73, I begged, borrow, and bought on time, (think it was $50 a month) a 65 Chevy pickup from the construction forman that I was working (and learning) for. It was already a bit of a beater, the common green half-ton, with the 4 speed and the 283 cu V-8. This had been his work truck for years and although it ran well, I don't think it had a panel that didn't have a dent.
Long story short, I sort of grew up and a bit responsible working my first real job, with that truck. It got me to work, got me to play, and everything in between, although the 70's--or at least what I can remember of them! Lol. I made several long trips to each coast in it to by goods with questionable legality, if you know what I mean, and more than once it headed out of state with a hidden load of Coors beer which helped me fund my fun. I kept it until it was pretty-much wore out in about 1979 or '80. By then I was getting married, having kids and buying station wagons. Companies that I worked for always supplied me with a work truck. I'm looking for a truck like my old one and I've seen several around, just have some questions before I pull the trigger.
I see several of the 20's, the 3/4 tons. What is the drivabilty compared to the half-tons. Is the trannies, rear-ends and therefore top speed about the same? Are they rougher riding?
Is there a spotters guide somewhere that I am missing that would show the unfamilier (like myself) what the differences are between the years?
Thanks, in advance for any help here. I am getting the mid 60's Chevy truck bug...
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
61K10

Re: New guy here

I was in Denver in 1968 (27th of Dec) USAF it was cold and snow of course lol! I would look for a 1/2 ton if you want to modify it big time12, if not a 3/4t is fine.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Interesting story on your first '65 Chevy truck.

I think there is a comparison thread here somewhere. You might look in the '60-'66 FAQ index at the top of the '60-'66 forum main page. Anyway here is a quick summary. The '60-'63's have the wrap around windshield, The '60-'62's have the torsion bar front suspension, the X-member frame and a hydraulic clutch. The '60 & '61's have the bugeye or snorkel hoods. The '63-'66 have coil springs in the front and a ladder type frame, the same as trucks thru '87. The most common differential gear ratio in a C10 is 3.73. In the C20's it is 4.57. It is not difficult to change the differential in a C20, or to make it a C10.

Good luck with your search. Just a FYI, there is a trucks for sale section on this forum. You might find something close by.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Mathew21

Welcome, I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
66 c20

I recently purchased a 66 c20 and have noticed from my parts searching that a lot of guys convert to c10 parts, which i believe is all for availability. I have an 8 lug setup on mine along with rear leaf helper springs. To upgrade to disc brakes would require changing out the entire suspension basically as it changes the lug pattern as well which also means new wheels. I like the c20 though as it'll haul everything I could ask it to. I'm a woodworker so I often haul quite a bit.
66 c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 c20 View Post
I recently purchased a 66 c20 and have noticed from my parts searching that a lot of guys convert to c10 parts, which i believe is all for availability. I have an 8 lug setup on mine along with rear leaf helper springs. To upgrade to disc brakes would require changing out the entire suspension basically as it changes the lug pattern as well which also means new wheels. I like the c20 though as it'll haul everything I could ask it to. I'm a woodworker so I often haul quite a bit.
In your case you could do the same idea, but swap out with a later model C20 (71-89) and you'd be able to have same bolts pattern.

denverslim I agree with captain fab.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard and good luck. Let us know what you find.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote