The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
jojoman

carb flooding

i bought a new truck a 84 with 383 i havent drove it since i got it but now that i drove it again it turns off i can drive it for about a block and as soon as i give it gas to take off it bogs and even if i keep my foot down on the gas it turns off and when i try to turn it back on it just cranks but wont turn on and if it does is for a second and off again
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
SoCalKris

Re: carb flooding

Have you pulled a plug after it dies to verify its flooding? If it is you should first tune your carb, lean it out a bit and see how her exaust smells. I have also had dirt get into the carb and clog the float causing the carb to keep dumping to much fuel. What type of Carb do you have?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
jojoman

Well the truck had been sitting for around 2 years is a holley carb and the guy who I bought it from said it would need supreme gas and if the float is clog with trash how would I be able to clean out also if it floods how would the spark plug let me know just asking
Posted via Mobile Device
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
SoCalKris

No worries bro When you flood out your truck basicly what happens is you getting so much gas on the spark plugs so they wont fire. If you pulled it out it would be Wet. Letting the truck sit for about 30 minutes prolly gives the plugs enough time to dry and then the truck would start again. I'm more familiar with edlebrock carbs than I am with Holly, but pulling a carb off takes about 10 minutes then you can unscrew the top cover on the carb and see how clean the inside is. Sometimes just spraying the inside with carb cleaner is enough to get them working right again. Now the supreme gas thing, did he say why the truck needed supreme gas. 383 stroakers are my favorite engine and a popular build so it could be a high compression motor