The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
sir_talk_alot

lowering a longbed with leaf rear

i saw one or two threads when searching, but couldnt find exactly what i needed. i wanted to ask what would be some ways, preferably cheap or cheaper way, of lowering a 1972 long bed c10 with a leaf spring rear end? i am wanting to do a 3/5 drop on it. so the front end all i have to do is buy drop springs, but the rear im needing some help. i saw on cpp that they have lowering rear leafs, how does that work? how much drop do i get from putting the leafs under the axle and using shackles? and is a c notch required or can i leave it without it? any help from all you smart guys would be greatly appreciated cuz im retarded when it comes to suspension.

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
1971_402

Re: lowering a longbed with leaf rear

Did a Flip kit on mine from a 73-87 kit to get 5in drop , I did a 3/5 drop also.
1972 Chevy C10 LWB-SWB/Bagged(ALMOST)
1972 Chevy C10 Shortened/SBC(DONE)
1981 Chevy C10 SWB 383/TH350(SOLD)
1971_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
sir_talk_alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_402 View Post
Did a Flip kit on mine from a 73-87 kit to get 5in drop , I did a 3/5 drop also.
could i see pics?

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
sir_talk_alot

so a 73-87 kit will work for 72 and older leaf trucks? and would it work on a 66 gmc? it has leafs also.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
sir_talk_alot

im debating trucks, i found a 72 long bed, which i like the long beds, c10, 5 lug, no engine or trans, a/c cab. $500. or a 1966 GMC short wheel base, has a inline 6, 3spd column, drivable, no bed for $250. both trucks are leaf rear, im leaning more towards the 66 gmc because of the price and that its drivable. but i really would like to do a 4/6 drop. most likely ill do a 3/5. either way, i need to find a flip kit that will work, preferably without having to cnotch the frame. any suggestions as to where to find one? preferably under $200. and for the front i will do drop springs and later to lower it further ill do drop spindles when i c notch it.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Trailrider95

Im in the same boat as you bud, 72 long bed with leaf springs in the rear. It's difficult to me for some reason,all the kits are for coil sprung. I'm planning on about a 4.5/5.5 or a 4/6.
The plan for mine i've came up with is:
2.5" drop spindles,
2 inch coils
then either a flip kit for the rear, or one of those "multi leaf spring 5"drop".
Then i'm gonna get front and rear away bars to help with the handling,

I've looked at doing bags, but for a quality bag setup for front and rear, costs to much for me i think..
Trailrider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
dragn91

You could just flip the axle but you will be very close to the frame without a c notch. When I did mine I got lowering shakles for a newer truck witch lowered it some it put the leaf spring end allmost hitting the bottom of the bed floor then I grinded off the factory hanger rivets and moved them up a couple inches also.the only down side is when I lifted the hanger I could only drill out 3 of the 4 new holes because of the angle of the frame I drove it with 3 a wile then eventually took the bed off and made a gusset welded on top the frame to bolt the 4th hanger bolt in. It was like 30 bucks for the drop shackles droped it around 5 inches in the rear total.
Posted via Mobile Device
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
dukcaln

hmmm, thanks for the ideas. glad you started this thread. I would like to drop my 72 long bed as well, mine has the rear leafs..
Old 07-13-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
sduckworth13

I'm not sure if the axle diameter is the same for the 1972 truck as they are for the 73-87 trucks. If you have a 3 inch diameter axle housing it will work for the flip kit for 73-87.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
sduckworth13

Here some pics of my truck to give you a idea how low it would be with a 4 1/2 front and 6 inch rear drop. If you get a flip kit call the vendor and make sure the u bolts are in it, if not you will need to spend another $35.00. I would go with the 5/8 x 8 they are a heavy duty u bolt. This is leaf spring rear end in my truck, no coil springs.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
dukcaln

looks good sduckworth13, however I think that would be too low for what I want to do...is there a different route to do like half that amount of drop. my truck will be a daily driver to and from school for my son... also my headers hand low too, but could drop some
Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
sduckworth13

Thank you. I think you could do a drop shackle in the back, there are various sizes of shackle drops or you could remove some helper leafs that are under the leaf springs pack if you have any. There are also various sizes of flip kits available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
sduckworth13

Now for the front if the cut one coil off I believe that would give you a two inch drop, don't use heat on the coil springs or it will weaken them. A few members on here helped me with my drop spec. Look up Lolife, N2trux and Scoti they were great help and can give you a lot of good advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
Trailrider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Here some pics of my truck to give you a idea how low it would be with a 4 1/2 front and 6 inch rear drop. If you get a flip kit call the vendor and make sure the u bolts are in it, if not you will need to spend another $35.00. I would go with the 5/8 x 8 they are a heavy duty u bolt. This is leaf spring rear end in my truck, no coil springs.
do you ever clip stuff with the front end? Or about your exhaust? I'm worried about trying to go up things like drive ways, and onto lifts and either scrape, or high center on the frame with it..
Trailrider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #15
sduckworth13

It is definitely a challenge, I have to pick my cruising routes carefully. I have a steep driveway at home and just have to pull in at a angle or I scrape the exhaust a little. I plan on running my new exhaust through the frame though. I never scrape the front end, although I do have a limited turning radius, I haven't investigated it much. I'm pretty sure its due to the small diameter of the 15inch ralleys that I'm running causing them to hit the lower a arm when I make a super tight turn. I plan on changing the rims out and getting the right wheel back spacing to eliminated the interference. All in all I'm definitely glad I lowered it, it drives amazing. Never thought driving a truck would be this much fun. Its made a hugh difference on the handling, I do have sway bar that I haven't installed yet and that will help with body roll a little.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
dukcaln

thanks, when I get ready to drop her I will look them up.... like I said I do not want to go that low.. half that I think would be good for what I want to accomplish..
Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
sir_talk_alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
thanks, when I get ready to drop her I will look them up.... like I said I do not want to go that low.. half that I think would be good for what I want to accomplish..
sorry guys, been so busy i forgot i started the thread. yea im in the same boat, for now i want to do a 3/5 drop, then later when i have the money have someone do a cnotch and do a 4/6. as far as exhaust goes you could probably look at shorties like for v8 s10s, then you could turn your exhaust off the headers alot higher up and run it next to the frame so that you dont have to worry about dragging. i found a flip kit that will work on summit racing that is a 5" flip. not sure if it comes with the bolt in cnotch but from what i have seen it doesnt seem all that hard to put in. and its just temporary till i have someone build a cnotch. when i was looking around i found that doing 5in flip in the rear or removing 2 helpers and doing shackles will work about the same. 5in flip kit only leaves about 2-3 inches of travel before it starts to touch stuff. thats why they recomend the bolt in cnotch. hopefully this thread will help some of us out there that are dealing with GMCs or leaf chevys.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
dukcaln

is there like a 2/4 drop option
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
sir_talk_alot

Quote:
is there like a 2/4 drop option
yea, you can do 2in drop coils from summitracing or CPP, even ebay has drop coils. thats for the front. with the rear (guessing your refering to leaf rear) you can either do like 2in shackles and remove a helper leaf, or i believe they make 4 in shackles. sounds like you more for the leveled/slightly lowered look. not positive but you could probably take 2 springs out. ive heard (havent located them myself) multi leaf drop springs for the rear.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
dukcaln

sir talk thanks.... I do want the level slightly lower look..... not too muck... so sounds like a 2/4 is pretty cheap and fairly easy to do, correct?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
sir_talk_alot

Quote:
sir talk thanks.... I do want the level slightly lower look..... not too muck... so sounds like a 2/4 is pretty cheap and fairly easy to do, correct?
yea. probably would be your best bet. it will give it the appearance that it sits lowered but wont be dropped. coils you can get for about 89 or so. look on your local craigslist for any coils for 60-72 c10s. i think that i am actually not going to buy this truck as my next project. i would prefer drop coils because of how low i want to make mine, makes it easier and less work. but yea just check for shackles n hangers. they may make a 4in kit for it. you can also cut some of the springs on the front. just search around the forum and find out how much of the front coils to cut off to get a 2in front drop. save ya a couple bucks. dont heat them, it weakens your springs.