The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Jim68

Tom Hand (or anyone really....)

Tom, I've been reading through all the posts on wiring internally regulated alternators. I've been through them and my wiring about 20 times. The alternator is putting a draw on the system(checked it with the test light, unplugged alt. light goes off). You had said in an earlier post that an internally regulated alt. wired incorrectly WILL work AND put a draw on the system. Whats wrong with it? White wire is spliced to ACC w/ 12v with key on. Second terminal is jumped to the Bat terminal on the alternator. Feed wire goes from there to the battery. I must be missing something. Help. and Thank you. James
Old 04-25-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

If you look on the case by the plug the two wires are marked 1 and two. 1 is for an idiot light but needs to be hooked up for the alt to work. 2 is to "excite" the alt to make it charge. Both wires shuld be hooked to swiched power to keep the alternator from placeing a draw on the system. I have seen many people run number 2 to the back of the alt and it works, but if you let the vehicle sit for a while it will drain the battery. The number 2 terminal also has to be wired on a different circuit than the coil or it will backfeed power and the key won't cut it off. [don't ask me how I know that] GM runs switched power to that terminal so thats good enough for me

Last edited by tom hand; 04-25-2003 at 04:47 PM.
tom hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
Jim68

Can I run the no. 2 off of the brown ACC wire thats already jumped to the white one down by the old ext. regulator plug? or will that be too much for that one wire(BRN ACC)?
In other words do I need to run a whole separate wire for it or can I jump the no 2 wire along with the no 1 wire thats already connected to ACC power?