The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Mieser3

House of Kolor Shimrin or PPG Vibrance?

I'm needing some opinions on what would be an easier paint to spray for a first time painter, HOK Shimrins or PPG Vibrance? Pros and cons of each? The color I'm looking at is HOK Tangelo Pearl or PPG Vibrance Oh So Orange. Any thoughts?

Thanks

1956 Chevy 210 Sedan
1970 Camaro Z-28/RS
1970 Chevelle SS 396 (numbers matching L34 car)
1971 Chevy SWB Fleetside with 1967 front clip - in progress
My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438156
Mieser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: House of Kolor Shimrin or PPG Vibrance?

I don't wish pearl paints off even on my worst friends. I think you are asking for trouble by wanting pearls as a first job it takes some experiance to get them right. Most of the ones out there are a 3 stage paint and the more you have to mix the more chance for mistakes. Also, if you have a mess up and need to repaint say the lower part of a door you might as well plan on painting the whole side over as pearls are notorius for not macthing. On the first paint job I know you may not want to hear it but you asked, I would tell someone to stick with a lighter nonmetallic color. The pearls are hard metals are hard as well in their own way as if you are a little off on gun setting or overlap or distance from the panel it could be trouble. But to answer your orginal ,I would check into the PPG linesand even better, ask if they have your color in Omni . That will save you about 2/3's on the paint itself.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
BigDan3131

Second post on same subject huh? You want pearls that's fine, go ahead and shoot it. As far which is better and or easy to shoot? Both are about the same.
Let me just say that if you do shoot it, walk the truck down the sides keeping overlap at about 70%. I would work my way down from the top so you aren't leaning on your fresh paint. The truck has to be all together as in assembled or set so all parts have about no more than a 6" gap. DO NOT keep spraying the pearl just because you have it after the recommend amount [usually 2-3 medium-light coats]. To save yourself some headaches use a white sealer and tint it orange to hide any spots you might not have enough coverage on or just buy an orange base color. Don't skimp out on the thinners or hardeners either if you buy HoK use everything from HoK the same goes for PPG.

Lastly, if all you have for a spraygun is that harbor freight junk and use one gun for everything don't even think about shooting anything other than the solid color orange base coat coat system.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
67cheby
67cheby

i did the same thing as one of my first paint jobs...the tiger stripes (from overlaping) were almost impossible for me to avoid ! let someone else shoot it or paint a couple others first with just metallics
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Mieser3

I appreciate the advice guys. Based on what I've heard I guess I should probably stay away from the pearls right now. I really do like the color of the HOK Tangelo. Does anyone know of any PPG solid base coat colors that are comparable? I'm having a heck of a time finding any type of color charts on the web. I'll probably have to take a 50 minute ride to the nearest paint store and look at some charts.

1956 Chevy 210 Sedan
1970 Camaro Z-28/RS
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
BigDan3131

I looked at the closest thing to Tangelo Orange which is Molly Orange [ its a solid color ]. Its darker that Tangelo but if you go to a paint shop that sells a lot of HoK they can take the Molly and add a white base to it to lighten it up or you can do it. HoK lets you mix any combo of colors to create your own one off color. But, having a shop mix it would be better. That way they can write the weight of the white they add to make it right for you. This is your tangelo: http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/It...o=HOK+PBC32-QT and this is Molly: http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/It...o=HOK+SG103-QT
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Mieser3

Thank you for the info BigDan. I may have to try that.

1956 Chevy 210 Sedan
1970 Camaro Z-28/RS
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser3 View Post
...I'll probably have to take a 50 minute ride to the nearest paint store and look at some charts.
Being that far from a paint store make sure you make a complete list of everything you'll need, the paint store I use is only 15 minutes away and that is too far to go if you forgot something the day you set up to paint.

I have been doing my first paint job over the last several months (solid color) and it is easy to make mistakes (runs, orange peel etc.). You can fix mistakes in solid colors even if you are new to painting (sand out and respray), experienced guys know how to fix mistakes in metallic. All it takes is a bug landing on your wet paint and you have a problem. Don't get me wrong, painting is easy but painting without mistakes takes lots of practice. You need to walk before you can run. I am currently a walker and having a lot of fun.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
67cheby
67cheby

nice work and well said
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Musclerodz

Tangelo is very transparent and need to be experieced to paint it. Although i also shoot PPG, I have yet to shoot any of their vibrance line