The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Firebirdjones

steering damper (shock) questions

What is the big differences between a 72 front steering damper and a 78 front steering damper?

I'm looking at a 78 front diff sitting here and comparing to my 72. The 78 doesn't have a steering damper attached, and appears to have a different way of mounting it.

My 72 mounts to the center link with clamps towards the center of the link, but has a factory bracket with a shock stud on the housing towards the driver side of the housing.

The 78 appears to be the opposite of this, with an actual hole in the center link (I assume for a shock stud??) that is towards the driver side of the center link,,, and also has a bracket on the housing towards the center of the housing.

It doesn't appear to me that my 72 damper setup will adapt to the 78 front diff. Anyone try this? I can snap pics of what I'm describing if need be. I can't seem to find anything online that may differ from one year to the next, they all show the same generic picture with clamps.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
pound41

Re: steering damper (shock) questions

I have a 70 blazer which i bought drove a little and then began to cut and weld the floor pans in it. My 70 came with a drum front end. Someone switched it to a newer front end. I notice that it had a good turning radius to one side and not as well in the other direction. I saw a post of someone having similar problems. It turned out the bend/angle in the bracket/arm that connects to the steering box was different. Not sure about 71/72. If i ever get it back on the road I will have to address it. I know not what you were posting about but something I never would have thought about in switching a newer front end
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

Are you talking about the pitman arm off the steering box, or the arm that is attached to the spindle with 3 large bolts?

It all appears to be the same configuration to me, but until I get it all side by side and can't say for sure.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
pound41

I think its the arm that attaches to the spindle not 100% sure I have tried to search that thread again and can't find it. its been a few years. It might be only a thing that affected 70 blazers and their front end. I was just giving you heads up to check those things. As I said earlier I would not have thought about the difference. But as you know with steering and front ends. If things are just a little off they can make a big difference it how it steers
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

Just looking at my 72, it appears to have the same "3-bolt" style arm that attaches to the spindle.

The pitman arm from the steering box isn't much to speak of, very short and attaches to the adjustable tie rod arm in between.

It all appears to be the same from my 72 to this 78 diff, other than the front shock damper. They appear to mount opposite of each other attaching on opposite ends, and the 78 has a hole in the center link for what looks like a shock mount stud,,,,where my 72 attaches with clamps (no hole in the center link).

There is a difference in mounting for this, I just can't put my finger on what exactly since all the aftermarket pictures from various suppliers (that I find) are generic pictures. However they do list the 69-72's as different from a 78. But you can't physically see a difference in the generic pictures.

I'm just needing to nail that down and make sure I have what parts are necessary before I begin the swap so I can accomplish it in short order before a front end alignment schedule, as I don't want the truck down for days, it's my daily driver.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Ole Beater

I would think that the total travel of the damper could be an issue. From compressed to full length extension might be different. It could effect the steerings lock to lock travel.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Firebirdjones

So it's not just a mounting difference, you believe the damper is probably longer for a 78 front diff?