The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Do I need or Want this truck

I am having a tough time deciding what to do gang. I need some doses of reality and other input.

Currently I have a very nice 05 Silverado crew cab Z71. I have had it for almost 4 years now, it is a nice truck and only has 56k miles on it. However, I have been starting to buy other vehicles that are inops and using my car hauler trailer to move them around with. I'm finding that if I buy an old truck without a motor my truck can handle the load pretty easy. If I buy an old 3/4 that still has all the drivetrain in it, my poor little 1/2 ton cries about it. When we haul off the carcass we fill it with scrap iron from my body shop (fenders, hoods, bumpers etc) for maximum weight across the scales. Usually I am seeing 4500lbs or so from the scales at the scrap yard. My truck actually struggles a little with this. During the winter I will be needing to haul my dads John Deere tractor to the shop possibly to move snow with. It is what I'd call a medium sized tractor, 4x4 and I think 40hp? It is a load on my trailer though, probably more load than the trailer should be holding.

I have a chance now to buy a 2006 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 with an 8.1 under the hood. The guy who has it now bought it as a managers demo from a local GMC dealer with only 4k on the clock. It was intended to pull his travel trailer all over the country, but right after buying the Yukon they decided to buy a motor home instead. It has sat in his garage for the most part since 2006, it has under 18,000 miles on it now. It is a beautiful truck to say the least, and very loaded. He is proud of it though, it has been for sale I think now for almost 2 months, he has finally come down on the price though! Now instead of $4k over high book, he is $1k under high book on it. I would still like to buy it for 2k less than what he's asking, but that's a different story.

I have researched what I think I can sell my truck for and I really think for about $8k difference here I can upgrade what I drive. My cheap side is coming out though and really starting to second guess my reasons. Is my occasional use enough to justify having this beast in my driveway? Should I just put airbags on my current 1/2 ton and risk burning up my poor old 4l60e transmission? I really have been saying I'd love to find a 3/4 suburban type truck, but they are fairly rare around here unless you want one that has over 130k on the clock and crank windows with rubber floors. The current owner of the Yukon keeps reminding how "rare" his truck is, but then I remind him of how "rare" it is for someone to want a big gas guzzler like that with todays gas prices. Obviously I really don't care about gas mileage, I don't put enough miles on vehicles to be real concerned about it. But that is the same reason I do not want a diesel! Someone that drives a diesel a few miles, shuts it off and then 8 hours later drives a few more miles... that kills a diesel from what I've heard, you end up with tons of leaks and issues. That is why I have my heart set on a 6.0 or bigger gas vehicle.

I also swore my next truck would be anything but a Government Motors, but used is used and I'm putting no dollars in their pocket really. Help me ponder on all this guys!
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Do I need or Want this truck

Sounds like you have a legitamite use for a heavier duty truck, but for as little as you say you need it, why not look for an older model that could be had for much less?

I'm assuming the truck you have now is a second vehicle? or would this be your only driver? That would change the opinions some
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

It would be my DD. I have an old 87 truck that is our "shop truck". We did a new engine and paint on it last year. Hind sight, I should have bought an old 3/4 truck for the shop. But now I bet I have about 12k in this 87 model and my tech's have a lot of blood sweat and tears in it, they'd kill me if I got rid of it. One of my other thoughts was to just buy an older 3/4 and keep here at the shop, but that would give me 3 trucks to insure and upkeep etc. Plus, there is a lot of times I go over 100 miles to buy a car/truck with my trailer. I'd spend a lot making an older truck road worthy enough for me to go on some long hauls like that. That's my reasoning for replacing my daily driver with something a bit more stout.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I thought about buying a used full-sized SUV about a year ago. Mainly because they are so affordable now.
I didn't do a lot of research, but it seems that the big SUV's values are dropping like a rock compared to a similarly equipped truck. That's good news for you NOW, but when it's time to sell it, it may be very bad news.
Unless you've got a large family that you need to haul around with you, I'd get a truck. When I see Yukon I automatically think Soccer Mom.
Just my 2c

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The price drops do worry me some, but it is not just big SUV's it is just about anything that is big and gas guzzling. That is an entire different story to discuss and would involve stuff we are not supposed to talk about here.

I hate having a tool box or gunbox in my truck, never have had one and never will have one. I think it'd be nice to have an enclosed cargo area to store stuff safely from the elements and prying eyes. Nothing worse than going hunting or to the range with a bunch of high dollar firearms and worrying about where to put them while we go in and eat at the cafe or who is going to step on them in the back seat floor area etc. My dad always had Suburbans instead of trucks up until the last vehicle he had. He had a F250 for a few years and of course had to put a toolbox in it and then griped about how hard it was for his old fat butt to get up in the bed to dig through the box to get a tie down or chain or something out. He switched to a long Escalade now but mom won't let me borrow it to pull with even though it is on a 3/4 frame and has a 6.2 engine. I used his F250 all the time when he had it, this is another reason I am on a serious hunt now for something bigger. I lost the truck I could borrow for heavy hauls!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
cdowns

from what i see here the price on used trucks is about 5cents on the dollar what u THINK yours is worth// pretty much cant give a used truck away down here for a reasonable price
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I am going to ask J to reply and give you his input here. IMHO the Yukon would rock. I have a non 4x4 as a dd and love it. J has the chevy version 4x4 and the older dually. We tend to take his more than mine on family stuff etc. The dually has not been touched for towing since the burb came home either.

I can't tell you crap from a towing standpoint (he could) but as far as comfort / being a worker etc.. it is a damn nice truck. The Yukons are that much nicer.. just the way it is. I would jump at that in a heartbeat.. And yes the cargo area being enclosed and hidden with the cover is really nice.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

I have a 2004 Chevrolet suburban 2500 4x4 8.1/4L85E. I LOVE IT, gas mileage is about the same or worse than my dually. Plenty of torque and pulling power, seats 8, and is fully loaded. The yukon has higher quality leather and other stuff in it too. I wish I could have found a yukon when I got mine. Rides a little rough but does fairly well for a 3/4t. It tows my 24' enclosed car hauler loaded down no problem. I chose it over a newer 6.2 truck just for the sheer torque of the 8.1. I honestly don't think you'll ever regret it other than the mileage if you don't tow often. I have put over 4k on mine since I got it in November, and put about 2k miles on Liz's and 200 miles on the dually...

It took me over a year to find a nice one that was well maintained with less than 100k on it, they will go for well over 200k which is the point most sell them. If you've found one you like I would jump on it, around here that one would sell in a week, I jumped on mine the day it was listed.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Josh

I also want to note you WILL fry the 4l60e in that 1/2t if you tow. I used to use Liz's to tow and wound up rebuilding the 4l60e in hers @ 85k miles. Which from my experience working at a dealer is about average on them when towing.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well, turns out I needed it.

I paid 500 more than I wanted to, but got it for less than he was asking and I could tell that really pained him. The thing drives like a dream, puts my K1500 to shame for ride quality even though the Yukon is a 3/4 ton. 17600 miles on an 06, I still can't believe it. Still smells new even. No way could I get close to this nice of a vehicle in this condition without buying new.

Just for giggles I might load my 05 crew on my car trailer tomorrow and pull it around town with the Yukon, just to see how easy that 8.1 big block pulls. I also gotta figure out how all these toys work inside it. For some odd reason when I pull the key out the dang seat goes forward wanting to crush me! Old owner was a little guy, I'm on the bigger side.

All in all I am excited, even though I feel poorer than a church mouse now. I'll feel better once I unload my crewcab though. Now it's time to find out if I can keep my normal routine of getting one sold. My last two cars I've sold were less than 24 hours listed until they were gone. I have a feeling this one will take longer.

*edit to reply to Josh*
Yeah, I've had the transmission serviced in my 1/2 ton about a year ago. It actually slipped a few times on me, basically refusing to drop in to 1st after a dead stop. Felt like it took off in 2nd or 3rd and then after about 20ft would SLAM in to first. After I had it serviced it stopped doing it, but I never used the truck to tow more than my 4 wheeler after that. I was lucky enough to always be able to borrow dads F250. I just knew the first time I tried to haul an old square body home it'd leave me stranded and have a repair bill for a trans overhaul.
I was almost hoping the new Yukon had an allison in it, my chevy service guy told me it was possible behind that 8.1. But, it just has the 4l80 in it, which should be plenty good.

Last edited by RandyP; 06-15-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Josh snuck a post in on me
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

hahaha my key did that to J in his truck too..
Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
Josh

Its actually a 4L85E, a slightly beefed up version of the 4l80e, same trans they used behind the duramax in the express vans. The floor pan of a burb wont clear an allison without a couple inch body lift, already looked into it. If you tow the crew around ya gotta snap pics! I had to get rid of my 06 crew cab to get mine...
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well thankfully we were in the position to be able to buy without selling mine in advance. With my 87 square torn down for a cam swap, I was fearful of putting mine up for sale and selling quick and being afoot! If that happened then my luck would be that what I wanted to buy would be gone and I'd be on the hunt for a replacement quickly and buy something I didn't like.
He did tell me he was surprised when I opened a sack filled with stacks of 100's. But that's how I was raised I guess. You save up and buy cars with money you have, not money you can go get from your banker. Now if I could make my wife follow that little rule. But at least she gets them paid off quickly when she buys, just wish she was not hooked on buying new every time. I'm 42 and have only ever bought one new truck in my life and that was back in 1998!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Josh

I traded mine, I wish I would have had the cash to pay for it in full, everything else I own except the burb is paid for. You will love it. Check into black bear performance for a tune on it, and put a 160 thermostat in it. Otherwise they will burn up to a quart of oil every 1k miles. The tune is good for 50+ ft lbs of torque also.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Randy.. its light out now, where are the pics?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Sorry, was trying to get my trailer hooked up and get in to Tulsa to get my 4 wheeler picked up from the dealer before the rain hit. Now I'm sitting and waiting on the rain to pass.
I was going to use the new Yukon to go but decided against that since the insurance is not officially moved over to it yet, plus it might hail with this storm we have right now.

The bug shield is going to go and I gotta get some vent visors on it plus my Owasso Rams front tag, otherwise it's ready to drive I think. I am also trying to convince myself to not smoke in it, which will be very very hard.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I quit smoking in mine when the kids were small. It was hard as heck at first, but in the end is so much better. The trucks dont stink when you turn the heat or air on. No yellow film on the windows.. You dont stink when you get out etc.. no burns in the carpet either!! I understand your pain, but in truth its no biggie. When you stop you do what ya gotta. In the truck keep mints or gum or something till you break the habbit of smoking in there
Old 06-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Sorry to double post, hit enter to fast. That is the first red, red one I have really seen. Most are that ugly nail polish pink red that we see running around. I remember when mine was that pretty n clean
Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Nice truck ,,if you can afford it and it does what you need ,,then thats the answer ,,of course I am a little bias with GMC's and Chevies,,LOL I like the color also /same color as mine.. good luck to you with it..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Josh

Watch those factory tires in the rain, traction doesn't seem to be much of an option with them thanks to the 8.1. I wound up tossing a set of 265/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S2 on mine, you can feel the larger size a little while towing but the truck seems to do so much better in rain and on dirt with them. I wish I had those mirrors! mine has the smaller electric extender ones. congrats on the truck!
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I really really wanted to bring it home today, but it's so clean and purty right now and it's going to rain more this evening. The poor thing has lived its life in a garage and now it will be an outside truck. Sadly my garage is not long enough for it, for some stupid reason. Heck my wifes Flex is literally a bumper to bumper fit. Like many others, our 2 car garage can barely fit one once you add in the kids bikes and toys and the wifes junk that she don't want in the house but does not seem to want to throw away or take to Goodwill.

This new truck is a world of firsts for me. My first 3/4 ton, my first truck with bucket seats, my first SUV and my first big block. Just saying "my truck has a 496ci" gives me a grin.

I meant to crawl in the back and look at the 3rd row but ran out of time. Does it fold flat or just fold up against the middle row? Debating on if I need to find a home for it and just remove it since I can seat 5 comfortably in it w/out it.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Josh

It folds flat against the second row with a lil prop rod to keep it in place.It takes up about a foot of space.
Mine was same, always garaged owned by an executive in SC, till I got it and I doubt it'll ever see one again. We have a one car garage full of kids junk n my tools. I love that saying I have and drive a 496 feeling, most people assume its a lil 6.0 as 80% of them were.

Here is a shot of mine with the 265s on it, sits a couple inches higher and fills the wheel wells better.
Attached Images

1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I'll be putting painted fender flares on mine, can't stand these little black wheel opening moldings. The flares makes them pop, love the look of yours.

We took it to town tonight for dinner with her parents. Running 75 I was about 2600rpm, that's a lot higher than my crew did. It would turn about 2k rpm at 75. It did ride a TON smoother than my crew though. Who would have thought a 3/4 would ride so nice.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Josh

Do you know if it has 4.10s or 3.73s? On the options sticker in the glove box it'll either have GT4 for 3.73s. or GT5 for 4.10s. It sounds like you have 4.10s. The 4l80 only has a .78 OD vs the .70 of the 4l60e so it you lose 8% reduction in RPMs too. The larger tires will help on cruising rpms, just gotta add 5% to your speedo to get your true speed unless you get a program to correct tire size. Mine rides a whole lot better on the highway than my 2wd crew did, doesn't ride near as nice as liz's 1500 yukon. The autoride shocks help a ton but when they wear out bilsteins seem to be the popular replacement for about 1/4 the cost of the autoride shocks.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Am I going to have to move this to proper year forum due to you two????