The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Mike's money pit

Bedside patch panel

I have 2 places on my short fleet drivers side bedside that I need to patch. They are in front of and behind the wheel opening from the lower molding down. I have been reading up and it sounds like the repro patch panels will not work for me. I think they are missing the wheel lip which I need to replace. Does anyone have experience with these patches? I am thinking I need to find an original bedside and cut the patches I need. Any input is appreciated.

Mike
Attached Images

Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Mike's money pit

Re: Bedside patch panel

One more picture:
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
hugger6933

The sponsor on here, GMC Something, has some in his web site Paul I think. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Mike's money pit

Thanks for the response, Jim. I have been reading a bunch of your posts over In the paint and body area. There is some great info over there. Gmcpauls does sell the patches, but this is what the description from his site says:
180220 67-72 Fleetside bed side rear lower section from behind rear wheel to back of bed, Original heavy 19 gauge steel construction with EDP coated black primer applied. A Fair quality replacement panel due to missing some details we only offer this panel due to it being the only one available. The rolled bead on wheel arch is missing as well as indentation below taillight area. Both can be put on the panel by a competent body shop which is far easier than trying to fabricate this entire panel from scratch. 34-1/2" x 13"H.

I wonder if I would be better of to try to find someone to cut a patch or just buy a used bedside for patch.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
bonnieclyde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's money pit View Post
Thanks for the response, Jim. I have been reading a bunch of your posts over In the paint and body area. There is some great info over there. Gmcpauls does sell the patches, but this is what the description from his site says:
180220 67-72 Fleetside bed side rear lower section from behind rear wheel to back of bed, Original heavy 19 gauge steel construction with EDP coated black primer applied. A Fair quality replacement panel due to missing some details we only offer this panel due to it being the only one available. The rolled bead on wheel arch is missing as well as indentation below taillight area. Both can be put on the panel by a competent body shop which is far easier than trying to fabricate this entire panel from scratch. 34-1/2" x 13"H.

I wonder if I would be better of to try to find someone to cut a patch or just buy a used bedside for patch.
i went to the junk yard and cut a patch panel from a junk truck and it was alot cheaper and fit better than aftermarket
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
oilyrag80

I have the rear section I cut out of a truck I parted just send me a pm
Attached Images

oilyrag80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
oilyrag80

heres some better pics there is a tiny pin hole but overall useable
that rusty piece on the bottom is from the splash guard just needs to be removed
just cover shipping and ill send it to you if you can use it.
Attached Images

oilyrag80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
CC69Rat

I used a repro patch from Summit Racing (it was a LWB piece but I just cut what I needed out) and fixed mine. It fit nicely and had the inner lip on it. like $39 bucks if I recall but easier than trying to make it.

^^ I'd think about using the GM stuff above though Nice gesture.
Attached Images

CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Mike's money pit

That is a great gesture. Thank you very much oily rag. I talked to a local guy today who may have the piece I need. I will get back to you once I find out. I really appreciate your willingness to help out.
Mike