The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Exclamation A lot of electrical problems

I just bought a 2004 4x4 Tahoe from a friend of ours. It drives and runs great. regular maintenance on it and all that...but it has some electrical gremlins that I'm looking to eliminate.

First is when you open the driver's door after you turn it off and remove key, the guage cluster lights and radio will stay on until the 7-10 minute time is up. Like it still thinks the key is in the ignition or that the door is still closed. At first I could just open the left rear door and it would shut it off, but now that's not the case. (Was thinking the door latch actuator and sensors, but now kind of leaning towards that and possibly the ignition switch)?

Also, once in gear, it generally locks the doors, and unlocks when I go to park. sometimes it will wait to lock the doors in gear until I've been driving for 10 minutes. and sometimes when I put it in park it doesn't unlock?

Some of the cluster lights don't illuminate like cruise/left blinker...etc temp control backlights aren't working (probably a new panel with that one). Sometimes in order to get the window switches on the driver's door to work I have to smack the door then they'll work. I ordered a new blower motor resistor because I only have 4 & 5 fan speeds.

Do y'all think any of this crap is related...it just seems like a lot of little crap and throwing brand new parts at it might not fix this.

Thanks in advance fellas...

Jack
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
1FastBrick

Re: A lot of electrical problems

Some are related but not all.

The Blower motor resistor will take care of the Fan speed issue.

Most likely the Gauge cluster needs to be rebuilt as the little bulbs will burn out and the Stepper motors are a known issue on these.

The door locks can be a tough one. The door latches as well as the ignition switch could be the culprit. Sometimes simply spraying them with WD 40 will wash out the dirt and clean the contacts enough for them to function properly.

The doors are programed to lock after 15 MPH This function i believe is in the gauge cluster options if you have steering wheel controls. You can also control how and when they lock and un-lock when exiting the vehicle.

Hope some of this helps.
1FastBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Re: A lot of electrical problems

no steering wheel controls...i'll more than likely just upgrade some gauge cluster lights to LED and replace the stepper motors. Only problem is that they are all working. the ignition switch is finicky though...maybe just get a new one of those and the latch assembly with sensors and see if that fixes it if the contact cleaner on the harnesses don't work. Thanks for the reply

Jack
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote