The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
nikwho

'59 Apache Camaro IFS project

I got started on the new project a couple of days ago. Its a '59 Apache. Its a long bed, 123.25" wheelbase that I will cut down to 115" wheelbase. The factory shortbeds are 114". Im moving the front wheel centerline forward 1" to better center the wheels in the front wheel opening. In order to only cut the frame once, not in front of and behind the cab, I'm taking the extra 8.25" out of the front of the frame during the Camaro IFS swap. Then, i'm moving the cab mounts back 9.25 inches to get the front wheels where I want them. I got the "No Limit" dvd on camaro IFS swaps and like the way that they do it so im modifying what they do a little bit to take care of my wheel base change at the same time. I'm using a firewall mounted master cylinder, booster, brake pedal bracket and brake pedal out of the same '79 Camaro that I pulled the rear axle and front subframe out of. I just started on this truck a couple of days ago so not too much progress has been made. Here are some pictures of what I have gotten done so far:
I removed the front clip, bed and moved the cab back to expose the part of the frame that i'll be working on.

I got the frame all leveled out and up on jack stands.

I took all of my measurements from the frame to have numbers to shoot for when welding the factory frame horns back into place to re mount the front fenders, grill, bumper etc.

After getting all of my measurments, I welded two braces on the frame, 30.25" behind the factory wheel centerline, which ended up 1 7/8" behind the leading edge of the front cab mounts. The frame was cut 20.25" behind the factory wheel centerline. Off came the factory stuff:

This makes up the 12" that No limit wanted cut off plus the 8.25" that i'm taking out of the wheel base. The cab mounts are being moved back 9.25" to accomodate the short bed and to move the front wheels 1" forward from stock location.

Here is the Camaro subframe that I picked up:

And 10 bolt:

Got a built up small block that will be making about 375hp after some new Patriot performance heads are swapped onto the engine

Last edited by nikwho; 10-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
nikwho

Re: '59 Apache Camaro IFS project

I'm still prepping the IFS for install. The '59's frame is 34" wide, outside to outside. The camaro is about 37". So, I'll take some pie cuts out of the camaro frame rails to narrow it down a little bit and heat and bend the truck frame out about 3/4" on each side so the two frames come together nicely.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Kim57

Sounds like a great project. Do keep the pics coming.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Welcome to the site.
Man your right into it. How is the body?
Good to see that you have the picture thing figured out.
Good luck with this build I'll be watching......

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
nikwho

The body is great. No rust to speak of. It's gonna need paint and a few holes filled. no dents. I'm filling the holes for the hood emblem and the big towing mirrors. Also, it has about thirty holes around the back window on the inside of the cab. They look like little snaps as if there was a cover for the back window that snapped into place. I dont know what thats about but ill weld all of those up when I start addressing the body work. Also, i'm going to be shortening the long bed 19 inches into a short bed. I'll post all of my pictures when I start making some progress on that. 9.75" will come out of the bed from the front and 9.25" will come out of the rear of the bed. I'm going to use the old bedsides and stake pockets to save money. Seeing as I have more time than I do money!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
OrrieG

The holes around the window are for a boot to the camper that was on it at one time. I did the same to mine when we used it for camping (we actually lived in it for two months in 1977 traveling around the west with my wife and two young kids). It was so we could keep track of the kids in the back and they could slide up front. Here is a shot from that trip.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 04-25-2010 at 12:27 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
nikwho

oh, interesting! thank you for the info.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
oh, interesting! thank you for the info.
No problem, brought back some great memories. My wife and I both agree that trip was one of the best times of our lives. It was before cell phones so all we did was check in every two weeks or so with family so they knew we were still alive. Only broke down twice, once when a bunch of old solder kept blocking the fuel inlet in the tank and later when the fuel pump went south from running dry during the tank issue. We fixed the tank in Manti UT, had to pull the seat, drain the tank into 2 five gallon cans I had and a bunch of milk jugs, pull the tank, shake the lead out, check tank to make sure it wasn't blocking a leak, then reinstall. All the time with half the City's kids watching. More than one family offered to help, etc. We did take one up so I could get the gas off of me and sit at a table for a meal.

We replace the fuel pump in Provo at the Safeway store across the street from the parts store. Next day (Sunday) we did laundry at a local place, we were the only ones there with long hair (back of my back at that time) and not wearing nice white shirts and black slacks. That's when we realized we were only a few blocks from BYU. Lots of interest from the kids there when they found out we were poor college students too. Ended up having dinner with a couple of guys at their apartment.

Like I said, rest of the trip was great, I'd like to retrace our journey sometime.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
blackdiesel

OOO... that explains you screen name orrieG, your just an old Hippie... LOL
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
OrrieG

I am, I confess. Orrie Gilroye was my grandfather who taught me a lot of my wrenching skills as a wee lad. Using traditional Irish naming history it should have been mine too or Cornelius going back 3-5 generations. My father had a lot of confusion with my grandfather and didn't want his kids in the mix, so Patrick is the name I was given.

Last edited by OrrieG; 04-26-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
blackdiesel

Well the way I pronounced it it sounds like orgy... Google it

EDIT: DONT GOOGLE IT! least not with your wife or kids in the room... make sure its not in 'images' either.

sorry for the mix up lol
'57 2wd change
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
blackdiesel

sorry haha
'57 2wd change

Last edited by blackdiesel; 04-26-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
nikwho

Got some more work done on the '59. I got the '59 frame flared out to accept the IFS. I heated up the frame, top and bottom just in front of the braces that I welded on. I did one side at a time and I shot for about 7/8" because the frame pulls in a bit when it cools.

I cut out the pie cuts from the camaro sub frame. 1 1/4" out of each side. So, that brought the IFS sub frames width down to 34 1/2" and the truck frame to a inside to inside width of about 35". With a two inch over lap, the two frames came together pretty well.

That was definately the difficult part. Got it welded together and I just need to box it all up and finish welding it. It went suprisingly smooth.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures. I didn't have my dig. camera with me.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Fat Mike

Do you know what the length from where you cut and flared the original frame to where you will mount the front body cab mounts is going to be?
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
nikwho

Well, if you look right in front of the upper brace that I welded on, the hole right in front of that brace is the hole for the forward rivit of the front cab mount. there is ten inches of frame exposed in front of those braces. The cab mounts are moving back 9.25". so, there is approximately 18" from the cut end of the factory frame to where the cab mounts will end up. I could pull a measurment when I get home on monday.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
nikwho

the leading edge of the front cab mounts were 28 3/8" from the centerline of the factory axle. A good reference point on the camaro sub frames for "axle centerline" is the leading edge of the shock bolt hole. The leading edge of the shock bolt hole on my truck is 29 3/8" from where the cab mounts will end up. This will move the front wheels forward one inch in relationship to the body/front fenders. Thats the reason why my truck will have a 115" wheelbase instead of the factory 114" of a short bed truck. No reason other than cosmetics for a lowered truck. To me, when they are lowered, the front wheels look like they're a little too far back in the wheel well.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
hammerdog57

Nicework on subframe. What are your plans for lowering the truck? bags or drop spindles? I like the way the subframe comes together the no limit way but it does leave the front end a little high for my taste.
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
nikwho

Thank you. I have not made a determination yet. I'm going to just drop the engine and transmission in, bolt up the cab and hang the fenders to check ride height. Maybe some spindles or -1" Eibach springs. I don't want it slammed so we'll see where she sits as is.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
nikwho

Well, I have not updated this thread in a couple of months. I have gotten a lot of work done considering the massive wild fire and recent floods that have been taking up a lot of my time! I have started taking apart and cleaning up the bed. I am shortening the long be down to the length of a short bed, taking 9 1/4" out of the front and 9 3/4" out of the rear. I will post pics of that soon. I have successfully grafted the Camaro subframe on to my '59 frame and took the extra 8 1/2" out of the wheel base and moved the cab mounts back 9 1/4 to take out the difference in wheel base between a longbed and short bed. I shortened the frame by 8 1/2" to essentially move the front tires forward in the wheel well by 3/4". My initial plan was to take out 8 1/4" to move the front tires forward by a full inch but felt better at the time with three quarters of an inch. The truck is no getting lowered all that much so didn't want to make too drastic of a change.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #20
nikwho

I used 1/4"x 2" steel plate for the engine frame mounts. I am going to box them up to make them stronger.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #21
Kim57

Looking good nickwho.
Kim
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #22
nikwho

Ok, im never going to finish this project when I keep finding new things to change. However, as low as my engine is, the dish in the fire wall is not necessary. Even for my distributer to come in and out. I want to smooth the fire wall out but I think im going to graft a section of a tailgate into the fire wall so that i get the "CHEVROLET" in the firewall. I need to track down a donor tailgate and get to work. I don't want anyone to get jelous of my sweet microsoft "paint" skills! I think some of the tailgates have a script lettering instead of the block letters. I would like that more. Just to get an idea of what im talking about:
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #23
Kim57

I think that would look slick.
Kim
Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #24
yukon ratrod

less is more if you know what I mean. I like the idea but not to crazy on that lettering. a 46 chevy gate would have the old style lettering your thinking of. and that would be slick. nice project and keep them picts comin!
yukon ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 09-29-2010 at 05:42 AM.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote