The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Stand bed on end?

I am pulling the bed off of my 85 Sierra this weekend. Due to space constraints and accessability I plan to build a dolly to stand it on end. I have plenty of old 4x4s to use so I'm not concerned about the cart being strong enough. My concern is if the bed is strong enough to support itself standing on end.
I know I have seen it done, I'm just apprehensive that it might damage the bedstanding me what has worked for you please.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-26-2016 at 10:39 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Stand bed on end?

It's not an issue. I recommend a couple layers of cardboard to minimize risk of scratches & some tie downs to keep things secure if/when moving.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
boatpuller

I've seen it done years ago. A guy I knew had it standing bed floor against the wall and the rear of truck backed up against the top of bedsides, it couldn't go anywhere. he had a decent paint job so he wrapped areas that needed it.
That was in a standard two car garage in a cookie cutter ranch he was able to keep it out of the weather and still able to keep mama happy with her side.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
trixter99
I have no time for this

No problem standing them on end that's how I paint them inside.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Moving blankets make a nice cushion..there's a local guy who deals in pulloff beds.every one he has stands on end..the cab end of the bed..on the blankets
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have pulled beds before ans sat them om saw horses, but never needed to stand them on end. I "assumed" it would be fine, but didn't want to find out the hard way I was wrong.

I plan to build a cart out of scrap 4x4s and pick up casters and furniture pads from Harbor Freight. This will allow me to roll it out for easy access, and put it up when not working on it.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
silverbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I plan to build a cart out of scrap 4x4s and pick up casters and furniture pads from Harbor Freight. This will allow me to roll it out for easy access, and put it up when not working on it.
Since you plan to go to Harbor Freight anyway... pick up a couple of the 30"x19" furniture dollys and just use those to set your bed on. I have a couple of them that get (ab)used in my garage all the time for parts. They hold up pretty good and they are on sale $16 each.
2010 Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3l/6L80e. Sold
2016 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0l/6L80e
silverbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Since you plan to go to Harbor Freight anyway... pick up a couple of the 30"x19" furniture dollys and just use those to set your bed on. I have a couple of them that get (ab)used in my garage all the time for parts. They hold up pretty good and they are on sale $16 each.
Thats an excellent idea. By the time I buy casters, I'm almost there anyway. I was just trying to use materials I had laying around, but dont have enough long bolts so I would have to buy them too.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-27-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #9
HAULIN' IT

I have stood several beds on end like you are wanting to do with nothing more than cardboard, blankets, ect. However later I built a simple jig that serves Two purposes: 1) The bottom front corners never touch the ground/carry any weight.
2) It becomes a "brace" once the bed is stood up

What I made was simply a 2" piece of pipe about the width of the bed with Two legs welded on (square tube with a piece of angle iron to form a T) that bolt onto 4 of the bulkhead bolts (you take the 4 bolts out, slide the jig in & re-install the bolts) & Two more legs that go at an angle back to the second pair of bed bolts (bed bolts go through the floor & the plate & install the nuts

When installed, the pipe hangs a few inches lower & slightly forward of the bed corners & allows for easy pivoting...once upright only the pipe & the very top corners of the bedsides touch the floor. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I spent some time playing with the straps until I felt comfortable with their position. This morning Chris and I lifted the bed without incident. Once we had it lifted, my next concern come to play. I had to set it on end with no damage.
I used a stack of furniture pads and got it upright. Per forum input I chose to forget building a cart and purchased two furniture dollies from Harbor Frieght. I caught them on sale, and used an additional 20% off code so it was cheaper than the casters for a cart would have been.
Once upright I was still apprehensive about stability so we secured it with straps till I am ready to work on it.
Here's my post from my build thread- LINK
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-01-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
HAULIN' IT

Here are a couple photos of the rig I mentioned in the post a couple above. Thought I'd add them just in case someone is searching for ideas later. Lorne

Here is how it would be attached to the bed with the pipe taking the load as it is rolled up & acts as a "kickstand" once it's up on the end
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote