The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
kwmech

AC wiring diagram 68-72 Factory

Got a customers K5 I'm rewiring. Putting in an AAW kit. He is eliminating the factory AC in the engine compartment. I need a diagram of the Factory AC harness so I can make the adjustment under the dash and wire it just as a heater--(no AC) using the resistor AC pac. eliminating the AC relay. Which colored wire is lo (lt. blu?) then med (yellow?) then high (org?) from both the switch and the resistor, plus the orientation in the resistor. Seems to be a secret on the AC wiring. I've looked in all the reference material I have including the Factory Assy Manual. I need to finish this thing and get it out of here.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: AC wiring diagram 68-72 Factory

Here's the heater switch diagram. The brown wire is power from the fuse panel Heat AC fuse and it's 10 amps for the heater and 25 for the AC.

The heater switch is shown in the top center of the diagram. The resistor is to the left and the blue orange and yellow wires go to it for the different speeds.
The orange wire is the unresisted high speed wire, and it goes to the fan from the resistor.

Name:  60GMCRegulator.jpg
Views: 56048
Size:  108.2 KB

This diagram is the wiring routing from the heater switch back to the fuse panel for the brown heater switch power wire.

Name:  Cab-1web 1.JPG
Views: 12776
Size:  97.0 KB

The orange wire for the AC is power, and it connects to the Cig terminal on the fuse panel then goes to the AC switch.

Here is the diagram for it.

Name:  ac diagram 2002.jpg
Views: 11103
Size:  34.0 KB
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
kwmech

Yeah, I have the main diagram, but it doesn't include the AC harness and show which wire goes where for what reason. This is what did. I removed the dk.blu wire at the resistor. I eliminated the yellow wire that goes to the AC switch. The brown wire in the AAW kit was connected to the fan switch at the control panel. The small orange wire was removed from the same connector. The factory AC harness that was in the truck got completely removed and stripped, retaining the purple wire to the blower. The large orange wire going to the relay was removed from the connector and put in place of the small orange wire. The other end was connected to the purple and put in the resistor plug where the dk.blu was removed. Sound about right? We'll see
Old 04-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
cmkruse

kwmech, Saw this post and was wondering if you have any of the original harness leftover that you would be willing to part with. The PO went cut happy and chopped up a bunch of stuff on my friends truck and I'm trying to repair it. I'm in need of the blower switch connector and the two little light housings that plug in to the control head. This truck has the four season AC system so I think the connector is the same. Thanks

Thanks to all the forum gurus for their help past and present.
cmkruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
kwmech

I had to use that stuff over with the harness the customer provided. I do however have 3-4 old harness' I can sort thru to see if anything is there to chop out
Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
cmkruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I had to use that stuff over with the harness the customer provided. I do however have 3-4 old harness' I can sort thru to see if anything is there to chop out
Okay, Thanks. Let me know if you find anything usable!

Thanks to all the forum gurus for their help past and present.
cmkruse is offline   Reply With Quote