The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Jstock85

LS swap

I'm considering putting an LS into my 85 c10. Going with 4.8 Found at local yard. Includes all accessories breather box to oil pan and fan to flex plate. No need to debate this vs that. I'm not looking for high horses or torque. This is just a cruise around truck.

I've been told it can be simple as adapt to the existing TH 350, install electric fuel pump, plumb exhaust, and wire up.

That sounds just a little to easy to me. My question for you guys is what kinda project am I really looking at? What all pitfalls can I expect?

Thanks
Jeff
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: LS swap

Need mounts flex plate spacer for the trans maybe driveshaft work on the ecu to delete vats etc maybe stock big block radiator surf the forum an get tons of info
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Jstock85

I'm swapping 305 for 305 basically. Being relatively the same size will the transmission have to be moved any and can I use the same radiator?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Jeramy

your biggest worry will really be project creep.

the list you posted will really just about cover it. The right motor mount adapters will put trans back in stock location to reuse driveshaft. switching to carb intake with 6ls box would make swap easier when comes to wiring and hooking up detent for trans. If keeping fuel injection you will have to buy a kit to hook up detent for trans.

you can modify the factory donor harness yourself or pay someone to do it. if using fuel injection you will have to pay someone to reprogram your computer to disable security and remove things you don't need like egr and emission controls.
you will have to buy a spacer adapter to use th350

the ls swap section hear has alot of info along with sites like lt1 swap
Old 01-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

You can't look at it as a 305 for a 305 swap..think of it as old vs. new technology.. you can buy engine plates that will locate the ls in the same location as the smallblock..yes you'll need an adapter to your t350..your stock radiator is more than good enough for the 4.8..stick with the fuel injection no reason to put a carb on it..its expensive to carb and if you were going to do that you might as well keep the smallblock..on the fuel system all you really need is what most people run..a walbro 255 pump and a vett filter regulator.your ecm will need flashed . Any programmer knows what needs done based on what your doing. You'll need to add o2 sensors to exhaust.. I would recommend buying a ready made harness based on your engine and trans choice..unless you like pulling your hair out..haha..exhaust there are some manifolds the will work with slight to no modification...like stated there is tons of info on here to read and don't be afraid to ask questions..I did mine before I found this site and even with little to no good advice from outside sources I was somewhat impressed with the simplicity of my swap..havnt regretted it a minute.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
Jstock85

The motor is still in the truck. Owner said fuel pump is bad but I could take whatever I needed. Could I take the existing O2 sensors out?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Depends on which o2 sensors are there..by all means if you can get them go ahead..my psi harness calls for a specific o2 sensor though so I'm not sure which p/n you'll need....youll only need one o2 sensor per side instead of the two that it has..another thing you'll need is a return fitting on your fuel tank for the regulator bypass to hook to.is the ls dbw or dbc? If dbw you'll need the gas pedal as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I know you don't want a this vs that argument going on but personally I would go with a 5.3..I have several buddies that have the 4.8s and none of them can brag about the mpgs whereas the 5.3s are known to get 20+ mpg with a od trans..
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
Jstock85

I was in the market for either. Just happen to come across the 4.8 first. The amount of accessories included has my attention. Few parts to have to buy the better I'm hoping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
jwilson645

You could always go to the LS swap forum here and check out some of the builds to get a good idea of what all you'll need.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
jwilson645 is online now   Reply With Quote