The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Kinked brake line fix

The brake line going to the rear brakes is kinked several inches before the engine end, right after it comes out of the frame rail.

Is there an easy way to fix this or do I need to replace the entire line? I've never bent a brake line before, but doesn't appear overly difficult, but keep in mind I don't have any tools and I'm not certain the ones at O'Reilly for rent are great.

Is it possible to get one from a salvage, it'd have to be newer as I can't find any early 60's at the salvage yard.

The rest of the lines are stainless from cpp, so it needs to be compatible.
Attached Images

MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
James the III

Re: Kinked brake line fix

cut it a few inches from the kink and reflare /
if you plan it right you can cut and flare at the spot the new piece end lands.. i.e. if you buy a brake line in a length of 12" and cut the line on truck at where the new piece lands when bent to fit..you flare the old line after you cut it and put the fitting end on the line..(don't forget this part it sucks to have to cut off a just made flare because you forgot to put the fitting nut on first) .. then one union to connect the old line to the new.. and bleed the brakes..
It looks like the fitting at the end of that line is good and clean (no rust) so you should be able to cut the line before the kink and slide it off and reuse it at the new cut after the kink.. instead of having to buy one..
So a piece of line (pre flared with fittings on it) and a union.. reuse that fitting on the end in photo..
cut, put fitting on line reflare, unstall union and new piece of line, bleed and call it good..
NO COMPRESSION FITTINGS THEY ARE ILLEGAL ON AUTOMOTIVE BRAKE SYSTEMS
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
AcampoDave

If you flare that line it has to be a "double flare." And you will need a double flare tool to do it. (And a lot of practice to do, it right). It it were me I'd just trash that line and instal a new one.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
PGSigns

Replace the line is the best thing to do. Use the new nickel copper lines from the parts store. The are easy to work with and wont rust inside or out. Most old lines are rusty on the inside and I just change them all. For what it cost to replace all the lines on a 50+ year old truck the safety factor is well worth it. I wrecked one may years ago with a rusty line and a single pot master cylinder so it all gets replaced around here.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic

Last edited by PGSigns; 03-22-2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

When replacing brake lines I've always used new ones. Most reliable parts stores carry different sizes but you'll have to do the bending. If they don't have what you need see if there's a hydraulic hose repair place in your area. Most of them have the tools necessary to reproduce hydraulic lines also.

One other thing you can do is to call brake shops in your area to see if they do brake lines. Be sure and take yours with you when you go to have it repaired or replaced.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote