The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
learyw

Decreased Value Using Aftermarket Performance Engine Parts on Stock Truck?

I have a 1978 K20. Its almost entirely stock and in great shape (after I replaced a few rusted out panels). It will be repainted this summer. It is not a show truck and it's not a frame off restoration, but I have it fixed up pretty nice. So, my questions is:

I want to get some more performance out of it. Its almost completely stock with numbers matching (except my carb which is as close to original as I could find). Will the truck lose value if I add aftermarket headers? Aftermarket cylinder heads, manifolds etc? What about a spray in bed liner?

I dont have any intentions of selling it, but I would hate to do something and ruin the value. They are quickly becoming more in demand and its value has really shot up in the last few years. Thanks. -Will
Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
RotaryRocketeer

Re: Decreased Value Using Aftermarket Performance Engine Parts on Stock Truck?

All that stuff is reversible. Just don't cut or hack anything too badly and you should be fine. If you really want to, hang on to the garbage old heads and manifolds. Store them on a shelf and if the time ever comes, you can return it to factory.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
Nick_R_23

I would stop and consider who the truck is being built for - Are you planning on entering it into shows, or trying to create appeal for an upcoming sale? Or are you building the truck for yourself to drive and enjoy? It sounds to me like the latter. I'd throw on whatever parts or do any modifications that makes the truck the most enjoyable to YOU! You have to remember, there were hundreds of thousands of these trucks made, and even with "numbers matching" engines, they are just too common to really compare to much more desirable, and rarer, high end sports or muscle cars that still retain their original engines. I say make it the way you want it. If it still matters to you, box up your original parts and store them, so at least they can always be returned to the truck if you choose to do so.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

Value only matters if you plan on selling. If you aren't selling, it could be 'valued' at $100,000 or $10 and the money in your pocket is exactly the same.

Except for a few rare limited editions, most of these trucks are worth more with a set of well planned aftermarket upgrades then they are with all OEM stuff.

The real value is the use and enjoyment you will get out of a truck that will get the job done at a far lower price then the current crop of new trucks.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
RWJJR

Original=overrated in these trucks. Nobody really buys them based on originality.
RWJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
SilverMiner

learyw - I think you have a valid concern, and here's why:

Five years ago when I was looking to buy a suburban I bought the 80 that I did mainly because it was an all-original truck that had seen a ton of miles but was otherwise "unmolested". I kicked the tires of many others but always passed because either a shoddy lift had been installed, a sketchy engine swap had been done, or more commonly a crime against humanity had been committed to the electrical system (usually stereo or off-road lights).

If you do a search here on just the word "unmolested" you will see it is a common topic and a trait that is generally valued. I'm not sure that always translates into a higher selling price because as others have pointed out these trucks aren't all that special in the "matching numbers" sense. But I do get the sense around here that an unmolested rig is more enjoyable to start from.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't necessarily consider well done engine upgrades to fall in the category of molesting. It's your truck - set it up the way you want.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
aharper33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJJR View Post
Original=overrated in these trucks. Nobody really buys them based on originality.
I have to disagree and not trying to start an argument. It is my own opinion but I think alot of people are looking for trucks that are more original than not. If for nothing so they can do what they want with the truck instead of having to add or remove a bunch of stuff that the previous person did. I like the original looks of the trucks, so when I see a person on here thats like I just got a perfect truck, low miles, ect and then follows that with the first thing I'm going to do is 4-6 inch drop, c-notch the frame, swap motors and stuff I just go on to the next one. Its what I like.

I do agree though that most of these trucks are not original. And I dont tend to see alot more value coming out of a stock truck. These are not Cameros, Chevelles, stuff like that were numbers matching cars bring a large premium.
aharper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
bigarmzz

lol yeah, i agree most people wouldn't want a numbers matching 305 with a 2:73 open rear end lol

(wait, that's what i have....crap)
bigarmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
RWJJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz View Post
lol yeah, i agree most people wouldn't want a numbers matching 305 with a 2:73 open rear end lol

(wait, that's what i have....crap)
Yeap!
Old 01-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Desert_Eagle02

If you do everything correctly and neatly it shouldn't effect the value that much. Could also add some, since most people add the parts that you listed to their trucks after they buy them. Stock and original is nice, and there are certainly collectors that look for that, but if your not planning on selling it then go for it. Make it yours. If you want, box up the original parts and tuck them away. Then if you ever do sell it, the person can put the original parts back on if that's what they are into.

But, I know when I look for vehicles, I want them as stock and original as I can find. That is because I want to make it mine, and I don't have to undo the previous owners mods to install mine, or worse yet spliced wires and a rats nest of electrical "fixes" or "mods".
Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
wilkin250r

It seems to me that the majority of people looking for an "unmolested" truck aren't necessarily opposed to aftermarket parts, they're mostly concerned with shoddy craftsmanship. They don't want to fix the mistakes/shortcuts of the previous owner.

Ask yourself: Which sounds more frightening?

1) Truck originally came with a 305, previous owner swapped in a 350, and changed the gearing in the rear axle.

2) Truck was originally a longbed, previous owner converted it to a short bed.

(I don't know about you guys, but the second one scares me most. I can live with an engine swap, but I ain't going anywhere NEAR somebody else's hacked-up frame and gobbled welds...)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

Nobody actually wants a 40lbs iron intake manifold and 180hp, numbers matching or not. These aren't collector trucks. 67-72's are older with much bigger value's and again nobody cares about matching numbers, they want customs.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
Peter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Nobody actually wants a 40lbs iron intake manifold and 180hp, numbers matching or not. These aren't collector trucks. 67-72's are older with much bigger value's and again nobody cares about matching numbers, they want customs.
Speak for yourself....I am perfectly content with the cast iron intake and Q-jet.

1978 K10 stepside
Peter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
gmachinz
Account Suspended

lol the .000001% minority has now spoken! j/k
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #15
RWJJR

Ive saw people, airbag, cut frames, remove emblems, etc. Then will post about wanting to find a retro stereo , because they don't want to cut the dash lol.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Squarebody values on original survivor/restored condition fall into the same category as 78-88 gbodies (Montes, Malibu, Cutlass etc) of which I have plenty of experience with. To begin with, collector value always begins with performance equipped models-thats why the GN and T-Types will ALWAYS be the top dog amongst 78-88 cars. After that comes unusual or rare optioned cars-so bucket seats, 4-speeds, t-tops, moonroof, etc. As for plain jain base model stuff-nobody gives a crap except to scavenge parts to restore better optioned cars.

As it pertains to 73-87 trucks, there are no performance models worth mentioning. So next we look at options-this is where we want power everything, bucket seats, tach clusters, etc. Again-base model stuff? Nobody cares. Its nice to have a factory big block truck-but it better be loaded with options too....again-nobody cares about a smog era 230hp/260ft 454.

The same rules dont apply to custom trucks since there are so many directions to go-and while many are modded and LS swapped, only a handful are respectable collector quality and keep in mind, installing anything that will be or look “dated” isnt a good idea either. To to summarize, I’d save the fully optioned trucks in original condition but I’d have no problem modifying a base truck-and the older the truck while having a lot!of options the better too! The best of both worlds imo is an older truck (77-80) loaded with original factory options with a factory style install of a 6.0/6.2 LS and 4L80E in a 4x4 truck. You’ll never have a lack of interest there!
Old 02-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
Speak for yourself....I am perfectly content with the cast iron intake and Q-jet.
Perfectly content or you actually look for that stuff as apposed to an aftermarket aluminum intake when buying these old trucks? Would you pay more for that stock intake? Thats my point, it doesn't increase the value having the stock iron on there.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #18
Peter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Perfectly content or you actually look for that stuff as apposed to an aftermarket aluminum intake when buying these old trucks? Would you pay more for that stock intake? Thats my point, it doesn't increase the value having the stock iron on there.
If i had my choice of two trucks, one a real decent stocker, the other a real nice custom, for the same amount of money....I would go for the stocker, but that's just me.

1978 K10 stepside
Peter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:23 AM   #19
hans2

While I prefer bone stock because I want to do my own mods, I'm ok with basic aftermarket bolt-ons as long as they all make sense and have been done correctly. No Victor Jr manifold on a stock smogger sbc short block (seen it). What I cannot bring myself to buy for more than scrap value by is rig with a hacked up wiring harness, or a half-doz red wires coming off the positive terminal and spider webbing across the engine compartment.
hans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #20
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I will say as far as paying more for a stock truck, I appreciate too having everything working-so I want to see the AC working-not: “AC is all there just needs charged” and the idle stop solenoid needs to work, no “custom” added aux fuse panels added, all emissions lines if equipped need properly routed, etc. Prolly my biggest issue of frustration is also destroyed wiring jobs/hacks.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Squarebody values on original survivor/restored condition fall into the same category as 78-88 gbodies (Montes, Malibu, Cutlass etc) of which I have plenty of experience with. To begin with, collector value always begins with performance equipped models-thats why the GN and T-Types will ALWAYS be the top dog amongst 78-88 cars. After that comes unusual or rare optioned cars-so bucket seats, 4-speeds, t-tops, moonroof, etc. As for plain jain base model stuff-nobody gives a crap except to scavenge parts to restore better optioned cars.

As it pertains to 73-87 trucks, there are no performance models worth mentioning. So next we look at options-this is where we want power everything, bucket seats, tach clusters, etc. Again-base model stuff? Nobody cares. Its nice to have a factory big block truck-but it better be loaded with options too....again-nobody cares about a smog era 230hp/260ft 454.

The same rules dont apply to custom trucks since there are so many directions to go-and while many are modded and LS swapped, only a handful are respectable collector quality and keep in mind, installing anything that will be or look “dated” isnt a good idea either. To to summarize, I’d save the fully optioned trucks in original condition but I’d have no problem modifying a base truck-and the older the truck while having a lot!of options the better too! The best of both worlds imo is an older truck (77-80) loaded with original factory options with a factory style install of a 6.0/6.2 LS and 4L80E in a 4x4 truck. You’ll never have a lack of interest there!
I think you hit the nail on the head here. These are emissions-era trucks with no real performance or "desirable" models built. The vast majority of them built were base model or had few options checked at the time. The only trucks I would place any real value on are extremely low mileage or COMPLETELY original examples, ones with ALL the options checked, or well built customs. Otherwise, enjoy and build your truck the way you want to and don't worry about values. That makes the hobby less fun
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #22
Encinoman45

When I am looking to buy, I like to buy stock or as close to stock as I can. More mods means more problems to me. However, in your case If you really want to modify your engine, your particular truck probably won't change much in value. If it was a very low mile, original paint, rust free survivor truck, it would be a different story.

Clean, original, low mile and rust free trucks will always bring the money.
As far as options, 350 and 454 trucks will bring more money than the 305 and 6 cyl trucks all else being equal. However, I don't see minor options like power windows and door locks, etc bringing significantly more than a more base truck with crank windows and manual locks when it comes to these old square bodies. These are trucks after all.
Encinoman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #23
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2 View Post
While I prefer bone stock because I want to do my own mods.
Well put hans. I have to agree, I'm not necessarily opposed to mods, as long as I'm the one doing em I think the desire for stock originals has two ingredients: 1) ya just like em that way, and 2) the desire to turn back the clock, i.e. ya wish you could've bought it new (and then kept it stock or modified it however you wanted).

I happen to prefer them mostly stock (and that's what I primarily search for when I'm looking for one, which is every single day). So, I don't think whether the mods will add or decrease value on your truck is really the more pertinent question - it's how much you shrink the potential buyer pool by modifying stuff further and further from stock. In other words, a 76 K20 with a 12" lift and $50k worth of previous owner mods that that previous owner thought were the cat's meow might appeal to one (or zero) other people on the planet - whereas a bone stock 78 K20 that has been well maintained and is in excellent mech condition is going to appeal to a LOT of people.

Yes, if reversible, go for it. If you're planning to sell it, or even think you might, it's worth including "easily reversible" in your plan.

Well, that's my 4 cents...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #24
riz

rule #1 - build it how you like it

rule #2 - who cares about anything else

81 C10 short box

82 K5 Blazer
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #25
Jay2Cor517

Just goofing off on Craigslist and came across this https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...462572524.html