The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Big Blue

Welding Question

What would the setting be if I am going to use This stick welder? Attached are pictures of what I want to put back together without BURNING A HOLE IN IT. This is the only welder I have to use. Thanks , John

It is my Driver side window channel.
Attached Images

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Welding Question

What size welding rod are you going to use?

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Jrainman

That is some thin metal for stick , I dont know what your welding experience is, but if you have experience , I would start out with the lowest DC setting and I would use 6011 or 6010 even 6013 1/16 thick rod rod , clean off the coatings where to be welded , it really should be mig welded but it can be done with stick there is just a lot of heat from a stick welder . if your stick experience is limited then dont even try it , I would just take it to a local muffler shop it will be worth the trip if you are not that experienced in stick welding. I would offer up Mig welding it for you, but I am about 1 and 1/2 hrs from your location. I am a certified welder in mutiple diffrerent catigories.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Big Blue

I want to thank you both for chiming in on my question. I have NO experience with welding or even using a stick. So Getter-Done, I do not even know what size to use, but thanks for you input. Jrainman, I think taking it to a muffler shop is a great idea, that's what I will do then. Again than you both, John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Agree...that's thin metal and definatly not a place to practice...get someone with a mig or tig to do it for you....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 07-14-2019 at 03:33 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
A1971Blazer

it needs to be tig welded but if you insist on stick...try to back it up with a piece of metal preferably copper...that will help keep from burning it up...use a 1/16 rod if you have it....and set the amperage on a test piece before you attempt the repair
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Big Blue

Thanks mongocanfly and A1971Blazer, Welding is one of the many things I can not do. I would like to learn it but I can't find the time or doing it. I bought a gas welder ( i think its a mig ) but my son left the valve opened and out went the gas. He said he will get gas for it but that has been two years now.
So thanks again for your input.

John