The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
WunTon

Air tank behind the seat?

I've searched and can't find any pictures so I was hoping someone here has mounted a 5 gallon tank behind their seat and can share some pics. I sold my motor yesterday way faster and for about a grand more than I actually anticipated getting for it so now I've decided I'm going to bag it since I have some extra money (yes I know I'm not bagging it for a $1k) I have been looking at the Accuair CVT45 setup that incorporates the compressor and all the valves right inside the tank for a easy and clean install but I'd really like to know if I can fit it behind the seat. I don't have my seat at home at that moment to measure either. If someone could give measurements with the seat all the way back that would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!
WunTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
rcnutt

Re: Air tank behind the seat?

I think the noise in the cab prevents most from doing it this way....
Old 02-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
WunTon

Thats kinda what I figured but after watching a bunch of videos I think the CVT45 setup will be plenty quite to have behind the seat.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
AcampoDave

How many PSI goes into those tanks and do they ever burst?..... Just something that crossed my mind.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

On the drag racing safety side of things, I provide ballistic blankets for the turbo guys who route their boost tubes to an intercooler/air-to-water box mounted on inside passenger side of the cockpit, and those are usually under 50 psi. For a tank at 150 psi, or more, I would be pretty concerned about something so close to my back without a shield or ballistic blanket.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
WunTon

Thanks for the very valid points guys! I have decided the CVT tank just isn't worth the cost when I can build and equally nice possibly nicer kit for far less money and just do a frame rail mount like everyone else does. I'm going to start ordering parts today and piece my own kit together so I can get the best bang for my buck with some nicer parts for a better price that what is included in most kits. I've never built an air setup before but I have spent a lot of hours over the last several days reading and looking at others so I shouldn't have any trouble piecing my own together (knocks on wood...).
Old 02-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
PatJ

I just finished installing my tank behind the seat and was surprised that I also couldn't find any info about others doing it. I still have some clean up to do but I think it works well, keeps all of the wires and everything out of the elements.
Attached Images

64 Custom Cab Fleet
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
I just finished installing my tank behind the seat and was surprised that I also couldn't find any info about others doing it. I still have some clean up to do but I think it works well, keeps all of the wires and everything out of the elements.
That looks good! What's your plan for running the airlines it from inside the cab?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
PatJ

The left side lines run out of the tank and down thru the floor towards the seatbelt there, right does the same on the other side. Under the cab and into the frame rails.

64 Custom Cab Fleet
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote