The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
runamukrancher

62 C-10 screwdriver start

hello
my 62 C-10 daily driver runs like a baby carriage but lately will only start with a screwdriver to jump the solenoid. which will be embarrassing this weekend at a local car show. does the solenoid and starter need to be replaced or just the solenoid. maybe ignition switch as well?

can't get to this fix till after the show so i'll just have to grin and bear it i guess. how long will the screwdriver jumpstart work?

any info will be helpful. thanks. rr
runamukrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
awbrown

Re: 62 C-10 screwdriver start

If it starts by crossing the positive cable terminal and the "s" terminal , then your starter is fine , you either have a safety switch or ignition switch or a bad wire problem from the switch .... all you need is a test light and a helper ... after making sure it is not in gear use a test light to see if you are getting power to the "s" terminal when the switch /key is turned to the start position .. if not you need to replace the switch or do some investigating to see what the problem is .. i would throw a pushbutton on it ,go to the show,and be happy , unless it is something simple.... but there is some info for you to start with ....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
Softpatch

check the connector plug were the wires run through the fire wall
as you look at the engine in the middle of the fire wall theres a concave just off alittle
to drivers side theres a 4 wire plug mine got moister in it and would work sometime
sometimes not
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
64chevtruck

Hi, Its probably the solenoid, The screwdriver will start your truck as long as you need it to,
79 GMC 3500 Fleetside LB 454/400
90 Suburban Silverado 4x4 350/700R4
97 1500 Cheyenne Short Fleet 350/5sp
64chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
PGSigns

Your Solenoid is fine you have a problem getting it 12 volts from the switch. The plug at the fire wall mentioned above would be the first place to look. Pull it and check to see if the contacts look ok and re seat it and see what it does. I have had one work its way loose over time. A test light is your best friend with this issue.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
runamukrancher

Thumbs up Re: 62 C-10 screwdriver start

THANK YOU all, it's been raining buckets all week. i hope to roll it out of the barn for a good look soon as it clears up! have screwdriver will travel.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
runamukrancher

.... and a few weeks later, here's what the problem was (and still is):

Neutral safety switch located at bottom on steering column. I had the local shop look at it, very busy little place. Had to get truck towed in, the screw driver start wasn't working. after a week he says it's good to go, no charge, just adjusted the NSS. OK! so I bring a large box of dog bones for his shop dog and truck is running; home I go. Headed out a few hours later, turn key and NOTHING. lights on, no crank, exact same problem. so i shift thru all gears eventually it will start in Neutral. (with hand brake on) the trick here is when I park the truck, while it is still running, I shift into N, handbrake on, cut motor. That's the best chance to have it "set" to start again. crazy!

so it wasn't the solenoid, or the starter or any electrical connection by the fire wall, all great suggestions. I'm not happy about it all but hey all it cost to find this out was dog bones. The NSS I had replaced 3+ yrs ago forgot all about it - is this just a touch and (maybe) go sort of thing, just knock it around and get it right that way? Would be nice to start my truck in *Park* someday! Thanks for any and all info.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Old Truck Man

Get a push button and wire it to the selonid. or simply bypass the neutral switch.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
fasteddie1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamukrancher View Post
.... and a few weeks later, here's what the problem was (and still is):

Neutral safety switch located at bottom on steering column. I had the local shop look at it, very busy little place. Had to get truck towed in, the screw driver start wasn't working. after a week he says it's good to go, no charge, just adjusted the NSS. OK! so I bring a large box of dog bones for his shop dog and truck is running; home I go. Headed out a few hours later, turn key and NOTHING. lights on, no crank, exact same problem. so i shift thru all gears eventually it will start in Neutral. (with hand brake on) the trick here is when I park the truck, while it is still running, I shift into N, handbrake on, cut motor. That's the best chance to have it "set" to start again. crazy!

so it wasn't the solenoid, or the starter or any electrical connection by the fire wall, all great suggestions. I'm not happy about it all but hey all it cost to find this out was dog bones. The NSS I had replaced 3+ yrs ago forgot all about it - is this just a touch and (maybe) go sort of thing, just knock it around and get it right that way? Would be nice to start my truck in *Park* someday! Thanks for any and all info.
Sounds like the solenoid is heating up will it start when engine cools? If it starts cold, you probably need to get a solenoid like fords use and mount on fender well. https://www.google.com/search?q=remo...ml%3B599%3B403