The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
mobileortho

Do you think this will work?

I relocated the tank to the rear of the bed some time ago and have since been pondering the best way to fill it. Most ether use a bed fill or fender fill setup which is fine, but I was wondering if anyone ever considered using the filler in the original location in the cab? I was thinking you could cut a hole in the cab below the spout and run a hose to the tank in the rear. Do you guys think this would work?

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
51chevytruck

Re: Do you think this will work?

I am currently putting my 51 on an 96 S10 frame and I am plumbing it to use the original fill location. I installed a grommet behind the drivers seat run an 1 1/2" fuel line through the floor and into the tank. I had to modify the tank by welding a cap on the S10 fill tube and then welded an 1 1/2" tube at the front of the tank. From original fill to the tank is all down hill, I don't anticipate any problems.
51chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: Do you think this will work?

That is a long way to run a fuel hose. Remember that the frame on these is pretty flexible and the bed and cab can move independently. I wouldn't like the idea of a 1.5" hose full of gas next to the mufflers and other hot stuff at fill up relying on hose clamps until enough was used to empty the fill hose. A foot or so in the back is enough. I have a Fleetside bed and going to put mine in a rectangular infill next to the inside of the driver rear stake pocket. I have photos of someone that did that if you are interested. He went all the way to the top, I'm only going up to the top of the bed side offset.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote