The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
truckster

The best-laid plans...

It's a beautiful Saturday here in Utah. I was going to get up early and work on putting together my Vortec engine for my Blazer. I've got almost all the parts now, and all I needed was some time on a nice day...

Last night my daughter called me. "Dad, my air conditioning isn't working. Would you take a look at it?" She has a 2005 Nissan Altima. I replaced the compressor (it was shot), but the accumulator that came with it didn't fit - it had one mounting bolt instead of two. So off I go to NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone... all the parts houses have exactly the same accumulator. So I decided I would drill and tap the second mounting hole, which wasn't hard, but then the fittings for the lines to the condenser were the wrong size, so they won't seal. I call the Nissan dealer - yeah, they have the accumulator, but it only comes as a unit with the condenser, which runs north of $500. So I put the original back on.

Time to draw a vacuum, but it's not going past about 5 in/hg. I start chasing leaks, and it's got a leak where the pressure line leaves the condenser. OK, I already replaced the O-rings, but I'll replace them again. Nope, still leaks, so I go to NAPA and get some thicker O-rings. Still leaks. That's when I find a hairline crack in the pressure line. I tried to braze it, but I guess I got a little overzealous and melted a bit too much aluminum. Still no seal. So now I've got a line on order from Nissan, but my Blazer engine is still sitting untouched.

So now it's after 5:00 and I just got done putting the Nissan back together, put my tools away, and told my Blazer I'd catch it next time. It's the end of the school term and I have a bunch of grading to do. Oh, well, no one ever said being a dad was easy...
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
codejitsu

Re: The best-laid plans...

You don't happen to be the guy who owns the orange blazer at the house next to UVU in orem, are you? And I know, strange question.
codejitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
truckster

I'm about 4 blocks north of UVU, but my Blazer is ochre (dark yellow). I think I know the one you mean. Is it on the east side of UVU?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
codejitsu

Yep, sure is. Shame I never saw you rolling around. I was working in Orem last year for nearly a year and was constantly looking for first gen blazers, having missed my own badly while leaving it back in Washington. Maybe I'll see you rolling around next time I head out that way. Good luck with the motor!
codejitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
truckster

I hope so. Mine's been sitting since 2013, when it threw a rod. I retired from the Army and started teaching school and life got busy, so I'm just now getting around to it. I'm hoping to get a lot done during our spring break the first week of April.

And thanks!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
shp4man

Im an A/C tech. I dont usually work on Nissans, but if I can help in some way?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #7
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
Im an A/C tech. I dont usually work on Nissans, but if I can help in some way?
Thanks, but it turned out that there was a hairline crack right behind the flare where the hold-down made it impossible to see. I had to pull the line and inspect it to find it.

Thanks for offering your help, though. Mostly I was just venting some frustration.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
shp4man

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Thanks, but it turned out that there was a hairline crack right behind the flare where the hold-down made it impossible to see. I had to pull the line and inspect it to find it.

Thanks for offering your help, though. Mostly I was just venting some frustration.
OK.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Yep I know exactly how you feel when it comes down to that and my daughter is not even 2 years old yet haha. I had her almost all weekend didn't get to much truck stuff done. I did get my DD all cleaned up inside and vacuumed out on Friday night after work so that was a bonus.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote