The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Sterling

Update on my recent purchases

So some of these are recent, some of them are from a month or two back, but I thought I'd document what I have bought in case any of you want to see these parts before you buy

Here is my new dash (not a cover, fully molded and metal reinforced dash) from www.carpartsdiscount.com. I think it ran $225 shipped to me. Really really really great investment.

I know the passenger side up by windshield is wavy. The retainer clip for that spot broke, so it has no clip to hold it down. Ill get one eventually

Door panels and trim from LMC Truck. Great price, ran like $200 with trim. My only complaint is the plastic has cracked at the top as you can see. But I called LMC and they, no questions asked, sent me another pair at no cost to me! Great customer service, and now I have two pairs of door panels. I dont know what I will do with the old pair I am removing, the drivers side is mint. I bet I could JB weld the crack and make it look like it did a month ago.

This picture shows the used bench I found, no tears on the drivers front. I put all my switches into the dash bezel. Put in a new "carpet" aka floor mat, got this one from www.classicparts.com. I think it cost $100. Really thick rubber, I really like it, however the hole for the headlight dimmer was slightly off (i mean a mm or two) but I fixed that. Otherwise it fit in great and adds a great look. I also painted the trim ring for the shifter to match, and picked up a set of saddle floor mats from Wal Mart to really top it off.

Finally here is what I put on yesterday, a new alternator from Advance Auto, It ended up costing #30 after coupons and core. My old alternator was missing the lower bracket (dont we all hate dumb old owners) and the bolt snapped in the head that held it on. SO I found a NOS lower bracket and hooked it up tight.

For you 6.2 diesel guys, how do you like my rigged CDR valve for the hummer intake I put on? About the cheapest way for me to go from 1" hose to 3/4" was pipe. Works great though. Thats a NOS CDR, but there are guys who still build them located on ebay if you need one. How to tell if yours is bad? Pull dip stick, if you get a puff of white smoke when the trucks running, replace your CDR

Later tonight ill finish up with the hood hinges. They are getting squeaky. Lithium grease didnt work last night so today it gets hit with 3 in 1 oil. Then for the weekend, Im going to work on fabbing up the cold air intake using parts from the local Menards
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
zook

Re: Update on my recent purchases

Looks good. thanks for the photos
Posted via Mobile Device
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
naphtali5725

do you have the part number for the dash you used?
which of these is similar to, or the same as the one you have?
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3594=1172

kind regards

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Wellgeo03

That dash looks great!
Wellgeo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by naphtali5725 View Post
do you have the part number for the dash you used?
which of these is similar to, or the same as the one you have?
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3594=1172

kind regards
127563 is the part number. The OER brown in that search you listed

They packed it really nice. It is urethane over a metal frame. It has a little sag if you held it up in the air, but once bolted down with screws and the 7 retainers, it sets very nice and straight. Out of all the repro parts ive bought, this is the best bang for the buck I've gotten.

I am against covering the dash. My El Camino had a plastic cover glued over the ripped dash. The moldy foam stank and left a lot of dust on the ground when you hit bumps. Also, it looked and felt cheap. The glue would loosen and it would peel, and it just never looked right on the edges by the bezels and vents. Id rather invest in something that will last the life of the truck, or get one of them little rug covers and some fuzzy dice.....then again i do have fuzzy dice

sterling