The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
Tx79chevy

How much to rebuild engine?

So I called a local place about having my completely stock 350 rebuilt. They quoted me $3200. Does that seem fair? I honestly didnt expect it to be anywhere near that much.
1979 Silverado
1987 Silverado
1987 Cutlass Supreme (For Sale)
Tx79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
rich weyand

Re: How much to rebuild engine?

You can buy a brand new stock 350 for about $1500 delivered, and that will be more reliable than any rebuild.

As for cost, it depends on what they do. To rebuild it, they have to clean it all up. No gunk left in any passages, oil or water. Then clean the bores, probably run them out .030 over. Clean up the bearing locations. Put it all back together with oversize parts, such as .030 over pistons and rings, oversize bearings, etc. Those are limited production aftermarket parts compared to stock GM on-size parts, so more expensive. Clean all the paint and dirt and oil off, so they can repaint it. Machine the heads, rebuild the valve train, etcetcetc.

If you really want a numbers matching engine, then you might do it. But a new crate engine is cheaper, easier, and more reliable.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Sounds high to me you can get a blue print 383 for 3400.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
IIGW

brand new from GM with a 50k warranty for 1700.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...68758/10002/-1

rebuilding an old sbc isnt worth it unless youre tryin for 10,000rpms or high hp numbers. either way a LS will make that old technology look silly.
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
russgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
You can buy a brand new stock 350 for about $1500 delivered, and that will be more reliable than any rebuild.

But a new crate engine is cheaper, easier, and more reliable.
That is all opinion, I have seen more than a few of these cheap crate motors fail in the first 1,000 miles. Most are assembled in Mexico with less than quality labor.

Yes, rebuilding your engine will cost more, but you will have more options to customize the engine to how you see fit. A good shop will stand behind their products.
20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Most of you are not factoring in a single dollar for labor. The $3200 has to be a "drop the truck off and we do it all" price. The crate motor prices are just the motor, not all the other little pieces you will need or the $100 worth of break in oil and everything else. Anyone who has done a motor swap knows you end up with another $500 worth of parts you do.

And be careful of that warranty, a lot of times it has to be installed by a certified GM tech who signs off on it, for the warranty to be valid.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Tx79chevy

Yes the $3200 is if i just take the truck there and drop it off. Thats without them repainting it. Another place in town said my truck is too old for them to work on...
1979 Silverado
1987 Silverado
1987 Cutlass Supreme (For Sale)
Tx79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGW View Post

rebuilding an old sbc isnt worth it unless youre tryin for 10,000rpms or high hp numbers. either way a LS will make that old technology look silly.
I've gotten to the point where I hate to see people put that old stuff back in. Unless they're just doing it for originality's sake and they don't really drive it much. With gas prices you can't even say its cheaper to use the old stuff anymore.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx79chevy View Post
Yes the $3200 is if i just take the truck there and drop it off. Thats without them repainting it. Another place in town said my truck is too old for them to work on...
That's not a bad price then. If you buy a new one and have them do the swap with all the labor and all, it will probably be the same price.

That said, I would rather have the new engine. Also, it's less down time. Mine's a daily driver, so new crate engine is the route I took. Costs me points to use momma's car.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGW View Post

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...68758/10002/-1
A GM crate motor carries a 3/100,000 warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post

And be careful of that warranty, a lot of times it has to be installed by a certified GM tech who signs off on it, for the warranty to be valid.
GM warranty is valid no matter who installs it and they will provide the labor to repair or replace it during the warranty.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
68post

Best bank for the buck ; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283
Buy a vortec intake and flexplate, be happy.
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
A GM crate motor carries a 3/100,000 warranty

GM warranty is valid no matter who installs it and they will provide the labor to repair or replace it during the warranty.

Oh really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Warranty PDF
GM SERVICE REPLACEMENT POWERTRAIN & CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE PARTS LIMITED WARRANTY FOR:
ENGINES, ENGINE COMPONENTS, TRANSMISSIONS, TRANSMISSION COMPONENTS & TRANSFER CASES
GM SERVICE REPLACEMENT POWERTRAIN & CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE PARTS LIMITED WARRANTY FOR:
ENGINES, ENGINE COMPONENTS, TRANSMISSIONS, TRANSMISSION COMPONENTS & TRANSFER CASES
General Motors Company (“GM”) warrants to the purchaser for the time and/or mileage indicated below
that it will repair or replace, at its option, any GM Parts Service Replacement Engine, Engine Component,
Transmission/Transaxle, Transmission Component, Transfer Case or Short Block Assembly that fails due to
a defect in material or workmanship. GM will use new or remanufactured parts for repair or replacement.
Warranty coverage is based on months/mileage, whichever comes first, and begins on the date of
installation
by an authorized GM dealer or by a qualified Independent Service Center (ISC). For all other over-the-counter
sales, warranty begins on date of retail sale.
Parts and labor warranty
when installed by a
GM Dealer or
qualified installing Independent Service Center (ISC).
Parts and labor warranty
when sold over the counter and
REPAIRED by a GM Dealer or qualified installing Independent Service
Center (ISC), on-highway applications only
. Parts only warranty when consumer repaired or when installed in non-highway
application. Coverage limited to defects in material and/or workmanship of the specific part only.
Includes Allison 1000 Series assemblies sold through GM Dealers.
Engine upgrades require appropriate associated parts to ensure proper engine and transmission cooling and torque capacity,
fuel/air delivery and emission controls (upgrade example: 305 engine replaced with 350 engine).
Parts-only warranty
when sold over the counter.
Must be installed in a “street legal” automotive application for use on public roads.
Warranty valid when all required components are installed on the same vehicle and purchased on one invoice.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
RShook

3200.00 is probably not a bad price with them pulling it and putting it back in if you trust their work and want to keep the original engine.

I had mine rebuilt just because I wanted to keep the numbers matching engine that came in it.
It cost me 2000.00 with me doing the pulling and dropping it back in. It was a complete rebuild. They bored it .030 over, put in a 268 comp cam, long slot rockers, flat top pistons, new head(one of mine was cracked) new timing gear and chain and they painted the engine for me.

Now, if I didn't care about keeping the original engine, it would be a no brainer for me.....Crate engine for sure.
This one to be specific Blueprint 383
A buddy of mine put one of these in his truck and it will pin your head back for sure
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
andrewmp6

Yeah having a shop pull it and put it back 3200 isn't that bad.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
MountainGoat1966

I can't even imagine paying a shop labor rate to do work like that, I'm able to do all my own work and refuse to pay their greedy shop rate.
I have never seen a shop that is worth $100 an hour.
Of course, if you have money to burn or don't have the tools and equipment to do an engine, then go ahead and pay it.
But there is also a tremendous amount of satisfaction to be had when you assemble and install an engine yourself and fire it up for the first time and it breathes to life.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
UKNOWME

Quote:
Oh really.
I don't want to hijack this thread with an argument and I see your valid info. Although, I've been a service writer/manager for a GM dealership since 1999 and have replaced many engines and transmissions under warranty that were sold OTC and installed by people in their garages and such. Most of the time I have to call and get an authorization prior to replacement and all that info is documented and labor has never been denied because it was not installed by a dealer or authorized facility.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Sounds high to me you can get a blue print 383 for 3400.
HA! Blueprint. How long do you really expect that cheap chinese cast crank and the rest of the chinese cast bottom end to hold up to 400+hp of constantly hammering on it. Thanks for the laugh.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat1966 View Post
I can't even imagine paying a shop labor rate to do work like that, I'm able to do all my own work and refuse to pay their greedy shop rate.
I have never seen a shop that is worth $100 an hour.
Of course, if you have money to burn or don't have the tools and equipment to do an engine, then go ahead and pay it.
But there is also a tremendous amount of satisfaction to be had when you assemble and install an engine yourself and fire it up for the first time and it breathes to life.
+1 just build it and do it yourself. If you don't cheap out (which you shouldn't do on a motor) then you will have a much much beter engine. Or just have a reputable shop build it for you, but doing doing it yourself really isn't that hard and is cheaper.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #19
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Oh really.
Did you read what you copy/pasted? It says over the counter sales warranty starts the date of sale. You just confirmed what he said.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #20
csdineley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68post View Post
Best bank for the buck ; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283
Buy a vortec intake and flexplate, be happy.
This is what I did. But I got mine from JEGS for a little less. Did the labor myself. Ended up costing around $2800-3000. So far it's been a great motor.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #21
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Did you read what you copy/pasted? It says over the counter sales warranty starts the date of sale. You just confirmed what he said.
Yes I read it. Parts only. tyvm
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #22
Just call me Sean

#2 specifically says parts and labor when sold over the counter. Parts only if you fix it yourself, meaning they aren't going to pay you to fix your own vehicle but they will pay a dealer to do it. If you put in the engine and it screws up you take it to the dealer for them to repair.

Last edited by Just call me Sean; 09-23-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Very well, I stand corrected then.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #24
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx79chevy View Post
So I called a local place about having my completely stock 350 rebuilt. They quoted me $3200. Does that seem fair? I honestly didnt expect it to be anywhere near that much.
I was ballparked about $2000.00 (my 350 with me in/out,dropping off) didn't get into details but he did say it adds up on the small detail stuff,what is rusted and breaks,can add up.
I could see that with wanting new bolts/valve covers/intakes/carbs/breathers/dizzy/water pump.
I 'd ask what worn parts are covered/replaced ,and what could cost to replace extra
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #25
SkinnyG

Over here in the other side of Canada (BC), I rebuilt my 350 last fall. For you folks in the states, things are just plain more expensive here:

0.020" over, hypereutectic pistons, bored with a torque plate.
Heads didn't need anything (guides were within spec) - I ported them, modified them for proper spring height, and lapped the valves.
Crank didn't need anything, had journals polished. Clevite bearings.
Howard's cam, lifters, and valve springs.
Indexable double roller timing chain.
New oil pump.
Internals were balanced.

I spent $900 in machining (this shop was pricey), and I'm guessing close to that in parts, if not more. I assembled the engine myself. I was fairly lucky, because the cylinders were the only iffy part (0.003" taper), and I didn't want to gamble just a re-ring.

I spent more than I wanted to, but it's a really, really good motor.

I have, on the other hand, done engines that I should NOT have, where EVERYTHING was pooched, and costs got out of hand.

Assume, for the most part, that it will never, ever be as nice inside as you want it to be. Buying a crate motor, saves the unknown - plus you (might) get a warranty. Your call, but be forwarned that fixing your own ~may~ not be cost effective.

A while back I re-ringed a Toyota 4AGE, where the parts alone were more expensive than buying an unmolested JDM engine.

Sadly, I REALLY enjoy building engines.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote