The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Tetanus Express

LS Engine Swap question... What years??

Ok so I've done a bunch of reading and figuring on what LS Swap to go with. The truck is a 85 C10. The main question I have is what year or years is preferred when looking for a transplant donor engine? I was thinking of going with the 5.3 and 4L60E or 6.0 with 6L80E combo. If you were going to do a swap what year would you prefer? What would you do differently? Are the earlier years easier to swap into a standalone type configuration or later years?

Thanks
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: LS Engine Swap question... What years??

In my 81 truck i used a 02 lq9 ..and have a 10 ls3 going in my next one..I used manual trans so I can't speak for the autos but the engines are pretty much all the same..dbc is less hassel as far as electronics are concerned but dwb is fine ,,just make sure you get the gas pedal for it..get the ecm and maf that goes with whichever engine you chose..I was impressed with the simplicity of these swaps after i got mine running.I was hesitant going in but was pleased with the results..buying a donor vehicle would be best if you have the space..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Tetanus Express

Ok so there is not really any difference between like a 02 to 06 5.3 versus a 07 to 10 or 11 5.3 setup? Just make sure that it comes with the pedal, MAF, ECU that came with particular setup. I see your local to my area. Did you get yours from a place here locally or did you buy it online somewhere?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

On the later engines you will get into dod and vvt which I think most people do a delete on..I've not had to deal with either of those..wasnt a issue with my lq9 being a 02 model..other than that its pretty much the same..going into a truck you'll be better off with a truck engine because of the accessories mounts and oil pan.there's lots of engines for sale local but when I got mine several years back there wernt many available so mine came from Chattanooga...I'm not far from you..down around cullman
Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Tetanus Express

Good deal. Thanks for the info. I've got my eyes open and searching for one. I did remember a guy from around or in Chattanooga that had a bunch of LS Engines for sale on Craigslist but I haven't seen that he's listed anything new lately. Yea your about 30 to 45 minutes south of me. You got any pics of your install?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Here's a couple..
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
Tetanus Express

Looks NICE!!! Clean and neat also. That's what I'm shooting for. What mounts did you use? You using stock radiator? A/C hooked up and working? You buy a harness already weeded out or you pull out what wasn't needed?
Old 03-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

For mounts I got a set of adapter plates off ebay that keep engine in the same spot and used stock smallblock mounts..I'm running stock radiator with dual electric fans..I went with psi harness..never got around to hooking the ac back up..maybe this year but I'm more of a ride around with the windows rolled down guy