The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
MJ14

MJ's 1965 Build Thread

Hello all, I joined here over 3 years ago with the hopes of one day owning a 1964-1966 GMC truck. I actually had a specific one in mind, but I could never convince the people who had the specific one that I wanted to sell it.

It was my father-in-laws old truck and my wife really it back. So luckily I was able to convince my wife to let me get a different one when an opportunity presented itself. I traded an old Lincoln Mark VIII for the project truck that I am about to start on.

The truck is a 1965 GMC long bed. It was originally a 283 with a manual transmission from what I am told. It was swapped to a 305 with a turbo 400 automatic transmission in the last few years. Both the engine and the transmission were completely rebuilt just a few years ago.

The original owner relocated the gas tank to the rear when he did the engine and transmission swap. The front brakes were also converted by the original owner to disc brakes.

I'm not 100% sure what my ultimate plan is right now. But the short term goal is to get all the new metal welded in and get it painted. It had a transmission line leaking when I got it, but that was an easy fix. So it runs and drives pretty well. I don't know that I will fully restore it, but my goal is to get it as nice as I can. We'll see how it goes. Here's what it looked like on the trailer and in the driveway.

Edit: Looks like I need to try and resize some of my photos so I will reupload them asap. They were way too big.

Last edited by MJ14; 09-20-2016 at 12:08 AM.
MJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
MJ14

Re: MJ's 1965 Build Thread

Last edited by MJ14; 09-24-2016 at 10:27 AM.
MJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote