The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
ca180
tryin to get laid

Anybody with a flip kit?!?

I was looking at the shear simplicity of most of these DJM and such flip kits for 73-87 trucks and figured I could just make my own for less than buying on eBay.

There is a bending place 10 minutes from me that could probably knock out most of the "complex" (if you would call it that) bend for uber cheap. What I need to know is what is the spec and measurements on all of it?

I attempted this before with some flat stock and used a digital caliper to measure the with inside of the spring perch, but I like the more involved kits out there that are boxed (as much boxed as you can I guess)

Also figure I can make some shock extenders super cheap, just need the specs on those too.

U-bolts seam to be readily available at just about any parts house.

Could anyone help me out with some good pics and measurements? Width/thickness/and the like? Also need to know exactly where the axle locating whole is on the axle cradle bracket. I'm a cheap mofo, and fabrication is just time and I have too much.

thanks guys, I appreciate any help.
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
johnboyon20s

Re: Anybody with a flip kit?!?

i go to tractor supply and buy trailor axle perches they have the hole in the center for the bolt and just set the pinion angle and weld it up, u can use the stock u bolts and cradle just flip them upside down
johnboyon20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
ca180
tryin to get laid

Not a bad Idea, i just kinda wanted to stay away from welding the axle
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
johnboyon20s

maybe u could buy the axle perches and add to the ends of it and and the axle just sit in the perch just like one of the kits if that makes sence?
johnboyon20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
ca180
tryin to get laid

Damn good idea!

Why the crap didn't I think of that! That would make it kinda like one of the "better" kits I've seen. Don't remember where though.

Still gotta figure out the shock extenders. I know they probably wouldn't be difficult to figure out on my own, but if someone already had measurements then I'd be set.