The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
JimDirt

Weather tight access panel for floor ??

Does anyone who make a access panel/door like what is shown in the 3rd post down at the middle left of the image ?? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691929

I was wanting to have a access panel for the master cylinder on the drivers side floor , that was large enough to actually get your hands in , instead of the tiny access hole that is stock on my 58 , and to have the battery mounted under the floor on the passenger side (access thru the floor like shown in that picture in the link , or in the side of the kick panel) where the battery would be mounted along the frame , but with easier access than crawling under the truck to hook things up or charge battery , etc , something that i can install without losing the integrity of the floor , so if someone stood on the area it would not collapse , but that is also weather tight and preferably has a twist handle/latch so you don't need tools to open it (similar to what it looks like they have in the picture in the link )
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Weather tight access panel for floor ??

You're talking about the squared cover toward the RF passenger area? It's the battery cover on the 47-55.1 trucks. It's made by Dynacorn and can likely be found at your favorite vintage truck parts supplier:

http://www.dreamershotrods.com/Batte...yandGMCPU.aspx

If you mount the battery under the floor spend some time to plan shielding from exhaust heat.

There are round plastic covers used in the marine, camping, and bus worlds that might work for the master cylinder:

Amazon.com : SEAFLO 8" Boat Round Deck... Amazon.com : SEAFLO 8" Boat Round Deck...

Last edited by 1project2many; 12-18-2015 at 07:56 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
ptc

Dynacorn P/N 1106F

This guy is probably the cheapest aroud the country Ive found for Dynacorn parts.

http://restorationpartssource.com/st...et%20Truck.htm

http://restorationpartssource.com/st..._moreinfo.html
Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
JimDirt

Yes , thank you , that is basically what i was looking for , so i am guessing i would also need the section of the floor that the access panel goes over for a 47-55.1 cab ?? , so i can modify it for my purpose ??
Old 12-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDirt View Post
Yes , thank you , that is basically what i was looking for , so i am guessing i would also need the section of the floor that the access panel goes over for a 47-55.1 cab ?? , so i can modify it for my purpose ??
no, just cut the hole out of the floor for the access panel
samples45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
JimDirt

I am assuming that the hole needs to be recessed so the cover is flush with the existing floor correct ?? , and if so what would the cover latch to ?? , (i am guessing the handle swivels/spins so it can be latched/unlatched ?)

As far as those plastic access doors , i dont know how sturdy they would be if you stood or were kneeling on it , this is why i was wanting something metal

Also i do not want the cover/door to just lay over the hole/opening , i want it to be able to be secured without the use of screwing it down , so its not going to move around or allow water , etc , to get into the cab , like turn the hold ring a 1/4 turn and it locks , or something , , i don't know how the 47-55 one latches so i am just guessing
Old 12-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
yes, you need the floor section if you want it recessed and strong and to work correctly. buy a repair section with the hole and the door and you are on your way

it works like you suspect, turn the d ring and it retracts two tabs

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
samples45

Quote:
I am assuming that the hole needs to be recessed so the cover is flush with the existing floor correct ?? , and if so what would the cover latch to ?? , (i am guessing the handle swivels/spins so it can be latched/unlatched ?)

As far as those plastic access doors , i dont know how sturdy they would be if you stood or were kneeling on it , this is why i was wanting something metal

Also i do not want the cover/door to just lay over the hole/opening , i want it to be able to be secured without the use of screwing it down , so its not going to move around or allow water , etc , to get into the cab , like turn the hold ring a 1/4 turn and it locks , or something , , i don't know how the 47-55 one latches so i am just guessing
Im putting two of them in the floor of my 55.2 and my plan was to cut the holes in the floor and flush weld them in. I would think the door opening and closing is just part of the acess panel its self.. i wouldnt think it had anything to do with the floor.. but i could be wrong. joedoh's way might be the way to go, Id like to know whats wrong with my way of doin it before i do it though! lol
samples45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
JimDirt

Thanks joedoh , that is what i was wondering , as my concern was not only functionality , but not creating a weak point in the floor (both sides) as well

And samples45 , i agree , if the floor will not flex with the section removed , and the lid does all the latching , then if it can be done without getting the floor sections , i'm all for it , when i go to my moms for Christmas , i will stop by my brothers (the one that died this last June) , as my sister in law still has my brothers 53 Chevy , so i will give it a look over , and see how the access panel is set up , then decide what is needed

I wish i had the means to take on that truck as well , but its just not in my budget and i just dont have a place to work on it or a place to store it , since where i live is not my place , and the owner does not understand the need i have for a shop , or the need to tear something apart (he does not like "clutter") , its in about the same shape as the 58 i have , the only thing mechanically wrong with it , is the original 6 cyl block is cracked , other than that , aside from rims/tires , the truck is completely original and would most likely run with a new battery and some fresh gas , and with some air in the tires , i am sure it would move on its own .....man i wish i had a big shop to work out of .... as i am sure my sister in law would just give me the truck ....oh well , one big project is enough for me right now
Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 AM   #10
1project2many

Quote:
We've put over 250k miles on buses that have those as fuel pump access ports. Two of the buses are configured so the access is right in the walkway. No failures yet...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 AM   #11
JimDirt

1project2many:
I looked at a couple of the plastic one's in the link you provided , but i am thinking that definitely i would need the rectangle one for the battery , so i think i would be happier if they matched , in size , shape , since the rectangle would have more physical room to get your hands/arms in to work on things , when i get a chance to look at my brothers 53 , i will be able to see the mounting and setup more clearly , then i can decide what i need to do , but i do like the 47-55 panel , and it looks more like something that "should" be in the cab anyway , which is why i was interested in it in the first place , it just looks like it should be there in that picture of the truck floor
Old 12-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
OrrieG

My mc access door. scrap sheet stock, piano hinge, threaded wing fastener. I used split wiper hose around the edge of the cap as a gasket. Big enough to get my hand in and remove cap thru the opening if I need to. My seat tilts forward for easy access.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
JimDirt

Isn't the 55.2-59 master hole in front of the seat ?? , yours looks like its under the seat part of the floor pan
Old 12-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #14
OrrieG

My mc and booster are under the floor. I moved it back (extended the rod between lever and booster) to miss transfer case and cab floor brace.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #15
JimDirt

OK Gotcha ! , mine is in the stock location , that's why i thought it strange when you said you lift your seat to access it , as the small hole for the stock master(i will be switching to a power booster unit , since the stock one is totally shot , so i might as well upgrade when i remove it) was right in the main floor where your feet go , and it just seems to small for a dual cylinder , so that is why when i saw the large door , i thought that would solve the access issue , and do the same for the battery when i relocate it off the firewall to the passenger side of the floor/frame